Texas Fishing Forum

removing roll on bed liner

Posted By: doc606

removing roll on bed liner - 02/16/18 12:20 PM

Got a nice solid older 12ft seaking semiv boat late last year. Previous owner rolled on black bed liner on bottom of hull. Few times i was able to take it out, noticed I've got some leaking rivets. I bought some epoxy sticks you sweat around the head of the rivet with a torch. Want to fix the leaks before i take it out again. What's the best least most labor intensive way to remove it? Grinder with wire brush? Also read about aircraft paint striper, but wondering if this will hurt the aluminum? Also read to heat it with torch until it bubbles and scrape it off. Any members have any experience removing bed liner?
Posted By: Cast

Re: removing roll on bed liner - 02/16/18 01:30 PM

I would try the torch, then a rag, and finally the wire brush.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: removing roll on bed liner - 02/17/18 03:33 PM

If it's only a few rivets, I'd use my mini-grinder and a wire wheel. When my tinny leaks, I put the trailer and boat on a dry concrete driveway, fill it with about two inches of water and wait for the wet spots to appear on the driveway. I mark them, empty the boat, flip it over and apply JB Weld around the leakers, after cleaning around them first. No need to use heat or chemicals, either of which might cause further grief.

IslandJim
Posted By: doc606

Re: removing roll on bed liner - 02/18/18 11:00 AM

Appreciate gentlemen. The bed liner looks great, but didnt stop his leaks. Looks like i got a project this week during the rain.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: removing roll on bed liner - 05/11/18 10:33 PM

He didn't put the bed liner or good then. Buddy and I did this to his old 14' flat bottom and you couldn't make that boat leak by hitting anything. Hard as a rock. Good luck and let us know how I get it off. I'm interested.
Posted By: Cast

Re: removing roll on bed liner - 05/11/18 10:46 PM

On second thought a big power washer would do it. Be careful, it will cut metal too in time.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: removing roll on bed liner - 05/12/18 01:44 AM

Locate leaky rivets, clean off bed liner, use goop coat it. I own, modify and repair multiple jons a year. The goop coat it, is amazing, best fix short of brazing. The epoxy creeps like penetrating oil, then sets up, it is extremely durable and flexible. Regular epoxy will just crack as aluminium flexes. I have rolled the entire floor with this stuff, makes dragging it over sand bar, logs, rocks ways easier as it has a friction reducer built in it. It will also keep future rivets from leaking if you do the entire bottom.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum