Texas Fishing Forum

Elite 4 hdi setup

Posted By: K Bake

Elite 4 hdi setup - 05/30/14 03:41 AM

Got it all thrown together this afternoon using a combo of yak attack and ram mounts. Took the idea from the palmetto kayak blog for the batt box which is ten bucks at Walmart. Not quite sure what I want to do with the batt box. I was thinking about drilling through the hatch so that if I don't want that hole in the future I could just replace the hatch instead of being SOL if I drilled into the boat.

Posted By: brownbagspecial

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 06/03/14 01:14 AM

Whts a set up like that run price wise?
Posted By: kayakingaret

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 06/03/14 01:28 AM

Solid choice on the Elite 4 HDI, I freakin love mine! I too did an over the side mount,however I used pvc, and still have noticed nearly 0 drop in my speed with that set up. One heck of a good unit, a lot of tech stuffed in a nice neat little package.

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 06/03/14 04:12 AM

The ff was 299 and the mounting stuff was another 100. It was a bit pricy for the ram and yak attack mounts and brackets but I did not wish to fabricate myself and I was very pleased at how quickly I was able to put this all together it literally to maybe 30 min. and I was done. I already had the batt but you can get them from academy in the deer feeder section for not much.

Also lowrance has a deal going right now you get a free lake insight card with purchase of the elite 4 hdi that's a 99$ value which tipped the scales for me since I was already in the market. You could also go with the dsi and 2d sonar only for 199 or even a bit cheaper 2d only for like 149 I believe. At the end of the day I decided I did not want to regret not purchasing the GPS option and I've been out twice both times it has paid off by helping me locate creek channels or points more easily.

I swear I am not paid by lowrance but first time out I caught five bass at a lake I had been getting skunked at lets just say I am pretty satisfied with the investment so far. The dsi and everything else has exceeded my expectations. Hope to get out more soon and do a good report on the unit.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 06/03/14 01:06 PM

I got the mark 4 dsi, grayscale only but it paints a great picture love it
Posted By: Wafflejaw

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 06/03/14 04:43 PM

If its a 115 those walmart boxes will ''clip'' in between the scupper towers in the front hatch.
A simple bungee held it so good I could flip the yak and travel and it held no problems.

Doesnt work on the 135 however....

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 06/03/14 05:09 PM

Thast awesome unfortunately mine is a 135... What did you do to drill through your boat, and how did you seal it up?
Posted By: Wafflejaw

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 06/03/14 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: K Bake
Thast awesome unfortunately mine is a 135... What did you do to drill through your boat, and how did you seal it up?

I have no issues drilling holes in my kayak....
I use the West Marine Wire Caps to run mine inside the hull...They have rubber seals.
Had to modify them slightly with a dremel tool...
I could reinforce it with some goop but it doesn't concern me.......yet

Posted By: mikey6345

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 09/30/14 03:55 PM

This is a great mount. I am trying to figure out the best way to make an easy portable/removable setup for an FX15 Native Ultimate. It has the gear track rails so I think some kinf of slide on/off mounting with a small setup like this would be great. Is your FF easily removable?
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 09/30/14 06:19 PM

I put my sonar display on a YakAttack + Screwball mount. Very portable, secure, and easy-on-easy-off. I bought the YakAttack transducer mount but now use the Mad Frog Liberator mount for the transducer, it's the Micro or Nano model. It's a cleaner design and more streamlined than the YakAttack transducer mount. I put my battery in a Rubbermaid container with a slit in the top for the wires, that sits up front with my cooler. The whole thing takes a minute to set up or take down.

Posted By: mikey6345

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 09/30/14 08:48 PM

One other question for you guys....do these units mounted on the side of the yak get in the way of your paddle stroke? Do you end up having to mount it so far forward you have to reach to press the buttons?
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 09/30/14 09:01 PM

I did start off mounting the unit close to me, and it did interfere with my paddle stroke. You can see where I have it now compared to my feet. I have to lean forward just a tad to reach the buttons, but once things are set up, you shouldn't have to do much pushing of buttons.
Posted By: JonBlair

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 01/10/15 04:07 PM

I wish I knew how to read my elite 4. Its pretty much something to tell me how deep the water is. Any link or tips on how to setup and understand what its saying to me???
Posted By: WestTxJiggin

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 01/16/15 09:58 PM

There is a lot of information on youtube on setting up and reading fish finders and sonars.
Posted By: FireMedic486

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 03/07/20 05:02 PM

I have the Elite 4hdi as well and love it but that could just be from lack of experience with electronics. I caught it on sale at academy for $189 a couple of years ago and it’s still going strong.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 03/07/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JonBlair
I wish I knew how to read my elite 4. Its pretty much something to tell me how deep the water is. Any link or tips on how to setup and understand what its saying to me???

If you haven't permanently installed in kayak, take battery in house and just play with it.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Lowrance-Elite-4-Hdi-3087740.html
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Elite 4 hdi setup - 11/24/20 04:58 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum