Texas Fishing Forum

help for a newbie to the Gulf

Posted By: Phlemfish

help for a newbie to the Gulf - 08/12/17 02:55 AM

I recently moved my family from the pacific coast to Harlingen Texas and am in some serious need of help with rigging and fishing tactics for the gulf if anyone is willing to share. I love to fish anything that swims but I have to admit I have a preference for surf and offshore fishing. I learned quickly over my last 2 trips that the fish here seam to be more toothy smile .In the pacific we fish a lot of light line in the surf on longer lighter rods with light drag. Here most of the guys I have talked to range from 40lb to 400 lb on their terminal tackle. Any advice on how to rig and what line weight to tie my rigs with would be extremely helpful. I have reels that are about every size other than behemoth (unless you count an old Penn 50w as behemoth). I would love to get into as many species as I can and have some boys I am trying to get into fishing as much as possible as well. Like I said any advice whether it is rigging or places to fish would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to share. Just as an FYI I also do some lure making and have lead and molds so I can make some custom baits if there are any favorites out there. I also have a couple of plastic molds and have dabbled a little in plastics. Looking forward to learning a new area.
Phlemfish
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: help for a newbie to the Gulf - 08/12/17 01:37 PM

Drop by www.troutsupport.com Tobin has some outstanding DVD's packed with info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum