Texas Fishing Forum

Is this a legal crabbing method?

Posted By: mudbelly

Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 09:44 AM

I had some friends who rigged a sort of trot line in the surf. Two PVC poles with a line and drops with a chicken neck tied on. you wade out and scoop them up. I don't see anything in the regs that mentions this. Is it legal?

For info my friends returned all females and undersize to the water.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 11:51 AM

Baited drops with no hooks are legal with no restrictions that I could find.

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 11:55 AM

Thanks!
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 12:30 PM

My boys are wanting to go crabbing...could you provide some details how this line was set, and where in the surf to place it....sounds interesting.

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 12:51 PM

They said two pvc poles driven in the sand just over waist deep in surf, a line with drops tied between but the drops are short and not on the bottom. crab swims up and grabs chicken neck and you scoop him with a landing net. Said they threw back lots of females with eggs.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 01:59 PM

The only thing I saw in the regulations book that would make me cautious of this method is the following: "Methods and devices not listed here are not legal for use in Texas".

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 01:59 PM

Good point.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 06:17 PM

Stick and String are Legal in Texas, as long as you adhere to the size of the Crab and the Male/Female. limits
Posted By: sae

Re: Is this a legal crabbing method? - 08/08/17 06:28 PM

I don't know if it is or a'int but years ago my girls and I caught a mess , only die ia I used rebar .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum