Texas Fishing Forum

BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ...

Posted By: Grinder55

BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 01:16 PM

I cooked the best fish I've ever eaten in my life last night.. and that includes the original Trader Vic's in Hawaii and Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco !!!

... while making stuffed Flounder I decided to try the same thing with that Big Trout I caught since the filets were thick enough to slice open a cavity in each filet ... then putting both open ends together stuffed with my crabmeat & shrimp stuffing

... I gotta tell you guy's n' gals that Trout stuffed with my crabmeat & shrimp stuffing was absolutely fantastic and the best fish I have ever eaten anywhere on this planet.

The best place to eat seafood in Rockport is at my house !!!

( pic was taken after the chefs taste test )

Posted By: ccoker

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 01:24 PM

you are killing me
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 02:26 PM

Come to Ketchikan with my family & friends group next year so you can cook for us, ok?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 03:12 PM

We'll be there tonight at 6:30, I'll even bring our own fillets. Dang that looks good.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 03:48 PM

that looks great. i guess you could do it with smaller filets if you laid a couple down and put the stuffing on top and covered with a couple more filets?

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 04:29 PM

Come on by Pat, your welcome here anytime !

And Uncle Zeek, I gotta admit I love to cook - it's not work .. it's fun for me.

That trout cooked that way really was incredibly good.

And, smooth move - that's what I was thinking about.

I am going to try it with some smaller trout filets tonight since I have some stuffing left.

I'll just lay 2 smaller trout filets in pan, cover with the crab & shrimp stuffing, then lay 2 more equal size trout filets on top.

It should work, ... I'll post up the results when done.
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 04:52 PM

That does look great I bet the secret is in the stuffing and temp, could you do that on a gas grill?
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/21/17 10:30 PM

dang that looks tasty.....

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/22/17 12:03 AM

i tried it tonight with smaller filets and rolled em up like a jelly roll with the stuffing inside. pretty dang good. thanks for the idea. sorry----no pics, we ate it too fast.
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/22/17 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: lite-liner
dang that looks tasty.....

cheers
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/22/17 01:20 AM

flehan thumb food rockon

>*)////>(
Posted By: malibu6501

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/23/17 09:57 PM

You have me looking for a recipe. Any pointers?

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/23/17 10:52 PM

1/4
cup margarine or butter Save $
1/4
cup chopped celery
tablespoons chopped onion Save $
cups soft bread cubes
1/4
teaspoon salt
1/4
teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8
teaspoon pepper
Fish
(2 to 3-lb.) dressed whole fish*
1/2
teaspoon salt
tablespoons margarine or butter, melted Save $
Steps

Heat oven to 400°F. Grease shallow roasting pan. Melt 1/4 cup margarine in medium skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in all remaining stuffing ingredients.
Sprinkle inside of fish with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fill opening with stuffing. Secure edges of fish together with skewers or toothpicks. Place in greased pan; brush with melted margarine.
Bake at 400°F. for 45 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork, basting occasionally with margarine. Remove skewers before serving. To serve, cut into sections by slicing through backbone.

i used this one with crab meat and subsituted bread crumbs for bread cubes and filets instead of whole fish, then rolled the stuffing up in the filets.

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/24/17 03:38 AM

OK - I had 5 smaller trout filets left Friday night.

Layed 2 side by side, put on the crab n' shrimp stuffing then laid 2 more filets on top.

Did the same thing with 1 trout filet and then I had 4 tail sections left after trimming other filets and they worked great to lay on top.

Cooked up real well and viola more stuffed trout.

CAPT. REX's STUFFED FLOUNDER or TROUT RECIPE

*** I used Alaskan King Crab that we broke down to make lump the crab meat.

*** I used ~ 15 count sized shrimp.

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F
In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and peppers. Sauté for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted.

2. Add the shrimp and season with salt and Old Bay (to taste). Sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and place mixture into a bowl. Gently stir in the crabmeat, then the bread crumbs a little at a time, adding more as needed to gently bind. Set aside to cool.

3. Generously place equal amounts of stuffing inside each fillet. (alternatively, you can place one or two fillet on the baking sheet, place filling atop the fillet, then place another on top, or off to the side, to resemble a pocket of stuffing).

4. Place the fish on a baking dish. Drizzle the fish with the butter and sprinkle with lemon juice. Sprinkle top of fish with salt, black pepper and paprika. Put pats of butter on top.

5. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until fish is cooked thru. Remove the fish from the oven and serve.

Stuffing

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
4 - 6 ounces shrimp, chopped fine (1/2 cup)
1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
6 ounces lump crabmeat (or more if desired)
3 -4 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, more as needed

Fish

1 whole, deboned flounder or trout filets
4 tablespoons real butter, melted or put pats of real butter on top
3 tablespoons real lemon juice
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons paprika
1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/24/17 03:40 AM

Love that stuffed Flounder! It just don't get any better! thumb
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/24/17 12:19 PM

You must have not tried Wahoo...:)

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/24/17 04:58 PM

Well the deal is Bayou Burner I live on a peninsula and can catch trout, red and flounder in both my "front yard" and my "back yard" and I don't need an expensive boat plus gas to catch my limit.

The price of my filets isn't much at all.

If there was wahoo in my fishin' holes I'd be catching them as well.

And yeah, I'm game to try some wahoo with my crab n' shrimp stuffing, but I like my filets fresh - not frozen. wink

Another tip on the eating scene, is take to mix some cream cheese and Daisy Brand sour cream with my Crab n' Shrimp stuffing and it makes a great dip for ballgames with Ritz crackers or garlic bread made from italian bread.

Posted By: parttime

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/25/17 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Grinder55
OK - I had 5 smaller trout filets left Friday night.

Layed 2 side by side, put on the crab n' shrimp stuffing then laid 2 more filets on top.

Did the same thing with 1 trout filet and then I had 4 tail sections left after trimming other filets and they worked great to lay on top.

Cooked up real well and viola more stuffed trout.

CAPT. REX's STUFFED FLOUNDER or TROUT RECIPE

*** I used Alaskan King Crab that we broke down to make lump the crab meat.

*** I used ~ 15 count sized shrimp.

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F
In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and peppers. Sauté for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted.

2. Add the shrimp and season with salt and Old Bay (to taste). Sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and place mixture into a bowl. Gently stir in the crabmeat, then the bread crumbs a little at a time, adding more as needed to gently bind. Set aside to cool.

3. Generously place equal amounts of stuffing inside each fillet. (alternatively, you can place one or two fillet on the baking sheet, place filling atop the fillet, then place another on top, or off to the side, to resemble a pocket of stuffing).

4. Place the fish on a baking dish. Drizzle the fish with the butter and sprinkle with lemon juice. Sprinkle top of fish with salt, black pepper and paprika. Put pats of butter on top.

5. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until fish is cooked thru. Remove the fish from the oven and serve.

Stuffing

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
4 - 6 ounces shrimp, chopped fine (1/2 cup)
1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
6 ounces lump crabmeat (or more if desired)
3 -4 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, more as needed

Fish

1 whole, deboned flounder or trout filets
4 tablespoons real butter, melted or put pats of real butter on top
3 tablespoons real lemon juice
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons paprika
1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish

That sounds awesome! I will have to try it!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/25/17 01:01 PM

I'll have to try this ...... Do you remove the worms from the trout fillets?

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/25/17 09:53 PM

If visible, no problem ... take a toothpick and take'em right out.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: BEST FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN ... - 07/26/17 03:50 AM

I've never eaten Wahoo formally frozen, only fresh... I know a guy.:)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum