Texas Fishing Forum

Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ?

Posted By: PowerLizard

Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/11/17 02:32 AM

What is the most dangerous place to fish on the Texas Coast and why? It could be sharks, sting rays, flesh eating bacteria, rip currents, shifting sand or the low life's who hang out there.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/11/17 03:01 AM

San Luis Pass------currents and shifting sand bottoms caused by all the water that exits the bays through there.
Posted By: trout yakin

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/11/17 10:37 AM

Definately San Luis pass!!
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/11/17 12:25 PM

Yep, SLP. 3 drowned there this year already
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/11/17 06:34 PM

The Deep Hole on the West side of Mosquito Island, which is on the North Side of the Tx City Dike..............hence the name..DEEP HOLE. Years ago a person could wade a piece on the West side and then suddenly drop straight down to nearly 30Ft.Many have drown there..young and old. There are NO warning signs till this day. Most waders have no PFD's on, some have waders that get filled with water and down they go.
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/11/17 06:37 PM

From a boating perspective, Baffin.
Posted By: jbuell

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/12/17 01:46 AM

SLP by far
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/12/17 02:12 AM

The mouth of the Brazos River has everything on your list. It probably doesn't see near the foot and boat traffic that SLP gets, but it's claimed plenty of victims and there have been many close calls.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/12/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: karstopo
The mouth of the Brazos River has everything on your list. It probably doesn't see near the foot and boat traffic that SLP gets, but it's claimed plenty of victims and there have been many close calls.

You know what...youre not wrong. I saw a guy on a kayak get air rescued there 2 years ago....all the current but with added debris in the water
Posted By: Matt AKfishco

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/13/17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: PowerLizard
What is the most dangerous place to fish on the Texas Coast and why? It could be sharks, sting rays, flesh eating bacteria, rip currents, shifting sand or the low life's who hang out there.

Curious since you added the line about lowlifes if you've had a specific experience? I know there have been times on the piers in Galveston where I've wished I didn't have my kids with me. You get a specific group of guys who wall off sections of the pier with their umbrellas and act like they own the place. Cussing, drinking, and the occasional whiff of weed drifiting downwind. Doesn't bother me so much, but when I got kiddos with me it sucks.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/13/17 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: jbuell

You know what...youre not wrong. I saw a guy on a kayak get air rescued there 2 years ago....all the current but with added debris in the water

did he get caught in the current?
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/13/17 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt AKfishco
Originally Posted By: PowerLizard

Curious since you added the line about lowlifes if you've had a specific experience? I know there have been times on the piers in Galveston where I've wished I didn't have my kids with me. You get a specific group of guys who wall off sections of the pier with their umbrellas and act like they own the place. Cussing, drinking, and the occasional whiff of weed drifiting downwind. Doesn't bother me so much, but when I got kiddos with me it sucks.

I do not have any personal experience with lowlifes on the coast other than the occasional theft of something. Most non-fisherman think its the sharks that are dangerous. From reading this and other forums, it appears the shifting sands and current are a bigger issue. I have always heard that the San Luis Pass was dangerous. I never thought of the mouth of the Brazos where it dumps into Freeport/Surfside Beach as all that dangerous but apparently it is.

My Sister-in-Law has a beach house in Surfside. We are going down there next week. The best fishing I have experienced down there was at the very end of the Surfside Jetty but the non-English speaking local fisherman don't make me feel too welcome.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/13/17 01:48 PM

WOW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Luis_Pass
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/13/17 05:29 PM

Dang! Almost makes me scairt to go down there and fish!

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/14/17 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: roadtrip
Dang! Almost makes me scairt to go down there and fish!

thats what i thought
i have heard of a dude that stepped into The Pit
he drowned
waders filled up
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/14/17 01:59 AM

Add Rollover Pass to the list.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/14/17 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
Originally Posted By: jbuell

did he get caught in the current?

Yup. Three novices in 3 kayaks tried to throw in near the mouth. One got flipped over early on and made it to shore. One guy rode the current to a sand bar and hopped out where he could wade in. The 3rd just shot out to open water in the gulf and tried to paddle his way to the beach. He was in a flat bottom 10ft yak and soon got flipped over. Me and some other guys tried to help but there was nothing we could do. He was wearing a pfd that saved his life, but the rescue swimmers had to get him.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/14/17 07:35 AM

I hadn't heard that story from the Mouth of the Brazos. I knew about the one with the kayak guide and one of his clients getting into trouble there.

I've kayaked there a couple of times. Always when the Brazos didn't have much fresh water runoff and that's rare for the Brazos. Even then the channel is so relatively narrow and so much tidal action generated water moves through there as it pours into and out of the ICW and river inland it's pretty hairy. Then some swells from the gulf find their way into the channel well inside the beach line when the gulf is just a little rough. Add to that the wind generated chop and then have the current flowing in direct opposition making for a mess. Anytime a major current is flowing Southeast and the wave/swell action is moving Northwest it makes for some really nasty wave action. It's hard to see that type of set up from shore. Once you are in it it's too late.

It's bad enough even in a large bay/inshore/nearshore type boat out there if you want to run out beyond the breakers. If the gulf has its usual 2-3 waves, at some point to get out or back in a boat will have to pick its way through the ever shifting bars and have the boat at the right speed to time the swell that can suddenly become a breaker. I've known of several power boats that got caught up in it and gotten swamped or flipped.

Let's say you do end up in the water there after your kayak or boat capsizes. You won't find a place with more bull and plenty of tiger sharks around. I'd hate to be bleeding and bobbing up and down in that spot. But you survive that and find yourself able to make it to the opposite shore. Here you have a place with Yoo-hoo water and stingrays galore. As you thrash and swim for the blessed shore hoping to just lay on the golden sand your naked feet and legs contact razor sharp oysters. You heard me, it's the only surf zone that has anchored reef, not broken shell, that I've ever come across. So bleeding and bruised from that encounter you crawl onto the thin ribbon of sand. Feet away are the giant piles drift wood trees and the Western Diamondbacks rattlesnakes that call them home. It's not if you will see a rattlesnake there, it's when.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/14/17 04:00 PM

dang karstopo
how does anybody live through a fishing trip there
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/14/17 05:16 PM

I hadn't heard that story from the Mouth of the Brazos. I knew about the one with the kayak guide and one of his clients getting into trouble there.

I've kayaked there a couple of times. Always when the Brazos didn't have much fresh water runoff and that's rare for the Brazos. Even then the channel is so relatively narrow and so much tidal action generated water moves through there as it pours into and out of the ICW and river inland it's pretty hairy. Then some swells from the gulf find their way into the channel well inside the beach line when the gulf is just a little rough. Add to that the wind generated chop and then have the current flowing in direct opposition making for a mess. Anytime a major current is flowing Southeast and the wave/swell action is moving Northwest it makes for some really nasty wave action. It's hard to see that type of set up from shore. Once you are in it it's too late.

It's bad enough even in a large bay/inshore/nearshore type boat out there if you want to run out beyond the breakers. If the gulf has its usual 2-3 waves, at some point to get out or back in a boat will have to pick its way through the ever shifting bars and have the boat at the right speed to time the swell that can suddenly become a breaker. I've known of several power boats that got caught up in it and gotten swamped or flipped.

Let's say you do end up in the water there after your kayak or boat capsizes. You won't find a place with more bull and plenty of tiger sharks around. I'd hate to be bleeding and bobbing up and down in that spot. But you survive that and find yourself able to make it to the opposite shore. Here you have a place with Yoo-hoo water and stingrays galore. As you thrash and swim for the blessed shore hoping to just lay on the golden sand your naked feet and legs contact razor sharp oysters. You heard me, it's the only surf zone that has anchored reef, not broken shell, that I've ever come across. So bleeding and bruised from that encounter you crawl onto the thin ribbon of sand. Feet away are the giant piles drift wood trees and the Western Diamondbacks rattlesnakes that call them home. It's not if you will see a rattlesnake there, it's when.

Sounds great, I'm all in. Let's go Butch!

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/14/17 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: roadtrip

Sounds great, I'm all in. Let's go Butch!

yeah
come on RT
since our wives won't let us go solo anymore

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/15/17 12:21 AM

All of the stuff I mentioned has happened, but not to necessarily to the same people. My neighbor's cousin jumped out of a boat there in the minimal surf and landed right on the razor sharp shell cutting himself pretty badly. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen the shell first hand. My neighbor's brother, dad, and their friend capsized out in the same basic spot and darn near drowned. My dad's friend capsized out there. I think that was a Grady white. That was pretty ugly.

Another friend pulled his kayak up onto the opposite shore and almost on top of a 5-6 foot rattlesnake. Nothing really bad has happened to me personally there other than some hairy near swamping breaker action trying to come back in. But it is one place I won't kayak alone. That might be just about the only place I won't.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/15/17 02:40 PM

All of the stuff I mentioned has happened, but not to necessarily to the same people. My neighbor's cousin jumped out of a boat there in the minimal surf and landed right on the razor sharp shell cutting himself pretty badly. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen the shell first hand. My neighbor's brother, dad, and their friend capsized out in the same basic spot and darn near drowned. My dad's friend capsized out there. I think that was a Grady white. That was pretty ugly.

Another friend pulled his kayak up onto the opposite shore and almost on top of a 5-6 foot rattlesnake. Nothing really bad has happened to me personally there other than some hairy near swamping breaker action trying to come back in. But it is one place I won't kayak alone. That might be just about the only place I won't.

dang
i was hoping it all happened in 1 event
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/15/17 10:07 PM

I got into a little trouble wading at the mouth of the Brazos myself. I was wading in waist deep water and stepped into a hole. The current didn't seem real bad but it was just enough to keep me from getting back to shallow water to get my feet down. After a while, I got completely worn out and would have probably gone under if I wasn't using a donut. I grabbed the donut and was able to paddle down the beach a bit to get out of the current. By the time I got back on the sand, I was 3/4's of a mile down the beach from the truck. I know that because I measured it with my odometer on the way home.

Another scary one. I was wading there right before daybreak. The water was flat and clear, just beautiful with flashes of phosphorus glow when the fish came through. I got about mid thigh in the water and a school of mullet just exploded all around me. Immediately, a huge fish, I assume a shark, came screaming right past me glowing. I went right back and cast from the beach until daylight.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/16/17 12:36 AM

I have caught more sharks there than any other place. They probably are attracted to all the stuff washed from way up river. A friend with some river frontage between Lake Jackson and Brazoria caught a big bull shark way up there.

Surely SLP has claimed more lives. But SLP has way more traffic and people. If the MOB had the amount of people and traffic that SLP has...I wonder.
Posted By: Okyakfishing

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/18/17 11:16 PM

SLP is dangerous, I took a boat down a few years ago and even well up in the bay away from the pass the current was unreal. I was in a boat and still a little scared.
I was thinking of bringing a kayak to fish out of but NEVER at SLP after seeing that current.
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/22/17 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: smooth move
San Luis Pass------currents and shifting sand bottoms caused by all the water that exits the bays through there.
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/22/17 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: steve_twice
From a boating perspective, Baffin.
Posted By: PReaux

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 07/24/17 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: skeeter22
Add Rollover Pass to the list.

gulf side, outgoing tide . . you bet . .
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/08/17 11:36 PM

Just saw on the news, after a particularly deadly summer, wading and swimming in San Louis Pass is now prohibited with a fine of up to $500.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/09/17 12:34 AM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12378173#Post12378173
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/09/17 04:37 PM

Is there a limit on how many rattlesnakes you Can keep?

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/09/17 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair
Is there a limit on how many rattlesnakes you Can keep?

wouldn't you be too beat up by the time you made it to the rattle snakes?
Posted By: captain steve barnes

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/11/17 10:37 PM

Port O'Connor Sharks
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/12/17 08:51 PM

OMG
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/26/17 02:05 PM

The under tow in ankle deep water at San Luis Pass is strong enough to pull your feet out from under you and suck you out to sea.
Of course that is a little bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one. It only takes one time for one of those under water demons to grab hold of you and start pulling you into deep water for it to leave a life long impression. Dangerous is an under statement for San Luis Pass.
Posted By: Fisherman110

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? - 08/28/17 01:09 AM

Slp for sure!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum