Texas Fishing Forum

KING FISH

Posted By: jimmysc

KING FISH - 05/27/17 07:28 PM

I like to trolling for king fish out of Port A. Anybody been trolling off shore for king fish? When is a good time to troll for kings?
Thanks
Posted By: boocat

Re: KING FISH - 05/27/17 10:07 PM

Now
Posted By: russcue1

Re: KING FISH - 05/27/17 10:10 PM

Yep. You don't need to go far. Get out of the pass and troll spoons, x-raps and especially ribbonfish. Run parallel to the beach between 20-40 feet and you'll find them. If traffic allows run across the shipping channel and you should find them. Let us know how you do.
Posted By: KQT

Re: KING FISH - 06/02/17 03:19 AM

Drift ribbon fish. Early in the morning the ship anchorage is always a good bet. Then about 9:00 am head south to the Hunt rigs. I like to pull feather jigs on the way, you can troll them fast just be sure you can hear the reel when you get hit.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: KING FISH - 06/02/17 11:36 AM

You may want to try fishing behind those big shrimp boats.
Posted By: parttime

Re: KING FISH - 06/02/17 12:22 PM

When you guys are trolling for kings, what kind of speeds are you traveling at?
Posted By: KQT

Re: KING FISH - 06/02/17 08:32 PM

Pulling jigs from one place to the other I have trolled at 15+ knots. I rarely troll ribbon fish unless it's dead calm. I have done better drifting that way I can chum and bring them to me

Re: KING FISH - 06/23/17 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the info. plan on going next week weather permit. To Port A.
Will be doing some trolling off shore looking for some King fish. Anybody know what kind of spoons to troll? I have 4 downriggers, should I try and use them or just troll?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: KING FISH - 06/23/17 03:23 PM

We have always done good trolling and drifting ribbons near the color change.

Re: KING FISH - 06/23/17 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the info. plan on going next week weather permit. To Port A.
Will be doing some trolling off shore looking for some King fish. Anybody know what kind of spoons to troll? I have 4 downriggers, should I try and use them or just troll?
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: KING FISH - 06/23/17 07:58 PM

I'd recommend trolling ribbonfish, two on downriggers at the depth you seem to be marking fish or bait balls and two up near the surface on rigs with a weighted jig head, about 1 ounce. The kind with the diver type head and that are dressed with a white and blue or other colorful skirt are great. Then if a clear pattern develops on a depth or rig you can go with more of those.

As for spoons though, I don't know if they classify as a spoon, the classic Russell lure is a go to, the Texas fishing report on Fox sports just said that was working well down in that area.

Best of luck to ya!

Re: KING FISH - 06/24/17 06:36 PM

Would the ribbonfish you buy at Bass Pro Shop work for trolling??

Re: KING FISH - 06/24/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jimmysc
Would the ribbonfish you buy at Bass Pro Shop work for trolling??

I have very little experience with these and have heard mixed reviews. But using fresh frozen (thawed when you use them) ribbonfish is really pretty easy (it must be it works for us!). You Tube has lots of rigging videos, you can make rigs, but buying the rigs makes it even easier. You can buy ribbonfish easily down at Port A.

I'm sure others have had different, and much more experience than I have, but we've seen the difference of catch rates big time, catching on ribbonfish versus lures 10 to 1, probably more, and catching fish trolling the same rigs with ribbonfish where others are not catching them. Caught a lot of other stuff too, a sailfish out of Port O, big amberjacks and red snapper, cobia, etc..., and lots of Spanish Mackerel.

Not trying to sell you on it, I don't have stock in ribbonfish or anything, just seems very worth the effort and small learning curve, and hope to see you catch some fish!
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: KING FISH - 06/24/17 07:52 PM

3 feet of tin foil strips (folded) on Kingfish Rigs

Re: KING FISH - 06/24/17 08:00 PM

Here are a few to whet your appetite, though these are from Alabama and are not the norm. Thanks for getting me to thinking about this and excited about our next trip!

Re: KING FISH - 06/24/17 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: V-Bottom

Seriously!? If so gotta be some good stories there. We are going to have to try that whether I'm just being gullible or not!

Re: KING FISH - 06/28/17 05:26 PM

Thanks everyone
Posted By: kickingback

Re: KING FISH - 07/01/17 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: parttime
When you guys are trolling for kings, what kind of speeds are you traveling at?

I can troll in my kayak with ribbons in tow at 2-3 mph. I sometimes catch them when i stop peddling and the lure is dropping.
Same for Cobia.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: KING FISH - 07/04/17 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: mickeytfc

Seriously!? If so gotta be some good stories there. We are going to have to try that whether I'm just being gullible or not!

You can make your own out of double sided 3M tape and put some silver flash on the outside and some eyes. I made a few up and am going to try them next trip out...

Re: KING FISH - 07/04/17 04:14 PM

That looks really cool. I will try and make one to.
Thanks

Re: KING FISH - 07/05/17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: kickingback
Originally Posted By: mickeytfc

You can make your own out of double sided 3M tape and put some silver flash on the outside and some eyes. I made a few up and am going to try them next trip out...

That looks great, I'd love to hear a report!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum