Texas Fishing Forum

New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help?

Posted By: BroIncarnate

New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 05/12/17 11:51 PM

Hey guys!!

So I getting into the shark game! I am looking for my 1st Rod and Reel setup to start out!

Things to know:
1. I'll be mainly fishing piers/jetties/surf
2. I'll be casting, not having baits kayaked out
3. I'll be using SPINNING tackle (only been fishing 3 years and have not graduated to bait casting yet)
4. My budget is $400-$450

My largest/heaviest rod is my 10 ft ProAngler (Heavy) rod, made here in Texas, intended for big cats so I am not sure what size sharks it can handle- It is paired with a PENN FIERCE II 6600LL

What suggestions do you guys have on other spinning reels and what spinning rods I should use?

I already have leaders and weights, can't wait to get out there!

Thanks!!!
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 05/13/17 12:12 AM

hell spinning get the penn V10500 load it with 100lb braid and fish on.
Posted By: boocat

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 05/13/17 09:53 PM

In the old days in Port A, guys would swim baits out.
Posted By: Sweetdaddy21

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 06/24/17 10:24 PM

I'll be doing the same thing , in south padre island thus summer , any help is appreciated. ...
Posted By: lconn4

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 06/24/17 11:21 PM

Learn to take the hooks out or don't even start. roflmao The first one I ever caught had three wire leaders cut well above where it would have bit through and don't even start to believe that the saltwater will quickly rust them out.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 06/24/17 11:32 PM

Do keep in mind that there are size limits & prohibited species. If you're not sure about what kind of shark you have, it may be more prudent to release it. Getting a ticket is an expensive way to learn...
Posted By: Waco Crappie

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 06/26/17 03:10 PM

I love shark fishing from the piers and I too am a novice but here is my setup.
1) Tsunami 10ft x-heavy pole
2) Penn Battle II 8000
3) 60-80 lb braid
4) 400 lb mono leader (Over kill I know but I got it from Ebay I think and it was cheap, plus one purchase will last a life time) (Have to buy crimps and swedes also)
5) Then I connect the mono to a short wire leader rated for 250 lbs using a swivel
6) 8 oz spider weight
7) Big [censored] circle hook (I have used the biggest team catfish circle hooks and those work good too) When casting set the hook on the spider weight so all of the weight is in one location so you can cast further
8) GOOD FRESH BAIT (I like skip jack because the bleed alot, hook it through the head and it wont come off when casting)
9) Long rope with a knot tied 2 ft from the end and a loop on it. When and if you catch a big one, have someone on the pier help you tie the rope around your line and let it fall down to the shark. Get the loop around his body or tail and lift him up.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 06/26/17 03:15 PM

and a LIST of the Species of Sharks you can keep.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 06/26/17 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: V-Bottom
and a LIST of the Species of Sharks you can keep.

Found it! I used to keep a copy of this with my boat whenever I went to the coast (been a couple of years since I've done that)

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_v3400_1162.pdf
Posted By: wh2004

Re: New to Shark Fishing! Setup Help? - 06/26/17 08:47 PM

Anyone know where to order beads that will fit over 125lb mono? Bought some online for shark leaders and they are way small.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum