Texas Fishing Forum

Are Hard Heads Edible?

Posted By: EastTexasNoob

Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 03:46 AM

It seems that Hardheads are easy to catch! But i never hear of any people eat them. Any of you eat them? What if they are big?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 12:31 PM

If my dog won't eat something, it's gotta be off the chart nasty, and she won't eat hardhead.
Posted By: All Tint & Upholstery

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 12:32 PM

I read, in a species I.D. book, from TP&W, that they are good to eat. They said that people usually don't eat them because they're small. I caught a 3lb. one, so I tried it. Tasted just like any other catfish.
On another note; Stingray is good also. Just fillet the wings.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 12:45 PM

I've tried them twice. First and last. barf

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 01:18 PM

Go ahead and catch you a bucketful and report back.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 01:26 PM

"Edible" depends on how hungry you are generally. Have been told that they cook up just fine, but I haven't been hungry enough to find out for myself.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 02:04 PM

sick
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Go ahead and catch you a bucketful and report back.

roflmao
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: All Tint & Upholstery
I read, in a species I.D. book, from TP&W, that they are good to eat. They said that people usually don't eat them because they're small. I caught a 3lb. one, so I tried it. Tasted just like any other catfish.

3 lb hardhead is a big one

you can catch them at the fish cleaning station at goose island state park, big ones.

I don't eat them but I know some guys do. Apparently the smaller ones make good bait for bull reds and tarpon
Posted By: M Squared

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 07:05 PM

I have heard of people eating Gafftop and they can get in the 3 lb range...not for me though
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 08:39 PM

Gafftops are reputed to be good table fare. Hardheads are not. I know that some people do eat them, but I, sadly -- or gladly, depending on one's outlook -- am not a member of that fraternity. And I hate it when they slime my flies.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/16/15 10:08 PM

I've had gafftop. It's not bad, but nothing to get excited over (but I certainly won't turn my nose up at them!)

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/17/15 12:33 AM

I'm just not hungry enough to drop a snot rocket in my cooler.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/17/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
Gafftops are reputed to be good table fare. Hardheads are not. I know that some people do eat them, but I, sadly -- or gladly, depending on one's outlook -- am not a member of that fraternity. And I hate it when they slime my flies.

I really like gafftop. If they are fresh, they taste just like any catfish. Hardheads, I wouldn't know. Never tried em.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/17/15 03:37 AM

I've had guys take gafftops and hardheads from me when they saw me catch them. I've never tried either.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/17/15 01:01 PM

Gaftop eat fine they fry a lot better than redfish does. Never eaten hardheads, but talked to people who have and say there is no difference.

I have eaten bullheads out of fresh water and despite the similar reputation they have to hardheads, they ate fine. I think the majority of it is just a stigma people have. If they were well prepared and people didn't know what it was I bet a lot of people would like them.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/17/15 04:09 PM

I have heard they have more slime than a Blue cat. People won't put them in their boat because of it.
Never ate one but I would try it.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/17/15 04:25 PM

The world record hardhead is 3 lbs. 5 oz. You sure you didn't catch a gafftopsail?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/18/15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

The world record hardhead is 3 lbs. 5 oz. You sure you didn't catch a gafftopsail?

Have caught them bigger I believe. I would bet not too many people catch a big old hardhead and think to run to the record books, too busy cussing because what they thought may have been a trout red or flounder turned out to be a hardhead.
Posted By: Pferox

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/18/15 03:07 PM

I used to eat Gafftops a lot, but the Wife doesn't like them, so I abstain, they are good eating IMO. Hardheads aren't bad if you clean them and get the mud line and dark meat / fat off of them. Soak them for a minimum of an hour in milk, or better yet buttermilk, and they taste like catfish. Most hardheads that I catch are smaller and are too much work for the amount of meat I get out of them, so I don't mess around with them much.
Posted By: sps468

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/20/15 10:21 PM

Hardheads and gafftops are good to eat. It just depends on if you know how to cook or not.
Posted By: M Squared

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/21/15 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: sps468
Hardheads and gafftops are good to eat. It just depends on if you know how to cook or not.

You come across like an experience cook of both...tell us.
Posted By: slimpickens

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/21/15 05:54 PM

roflmao
Posted By: trout yakin

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/21/15 10:18 PM

Same here.
Posted By: Redfisher27

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/30/15 11:23 AM

I've heard you can use them for bait???? is it foreal???

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/30/15 11:56 AM

A ling will scarf a hardhead down in a flash. I don't know anything else that gets after them that fast.
Posted By: Sharkinator

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/30/15 05:03 PM

You can catch sharks on hardheads as well.
Posted By: tufffish

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/30/15 05:52 PM

i don't eat hardheads, but i also hear people say they wouldn't eat a croaker. the speckled seatrout is in the croaker family, so you may be eating croaker and claim you don't. as for gafftop, they are very slimmy, but after you cut out the red meat like you do on a redfish they are very good eating.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/30/15 06:02 PM

Tarpon like 'em too.
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/30/15 07:03 PM

What's a hardhead? You talking about Gaff tops?

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 12:32 AM

Not the same fish. Sane people catch gaff tops
Hardheads are nasty little catfish with poison in their fins. I still have knots in my fingers from the little buggers stabbing me when I was eight years old.

Eat all you want but if a Seadrift crabber won't use them in their traps I don't want to mess with it.
Posted By: jugmaster

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 12:49 AM

Gaff top are good to eat!!! It makes for a great gumbo.
Listen to me and trust me.
Posted By: boatmannmike

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 01:13 AM

A HARDHEAD is like eating a mud cat......Makes for great sushi once the bottle of Jack is half gone food troll
Posted By: crawdaddct

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 02:45 PM

As a kid I ate them down in Louisiana. Made into a fish stew. Don't remember liking it much. They would eat anything down there though. We use to catch choupique in the ditches and sell them to people for fifty cents. I tend to shy away from Gaftop as well. Just too much slime. Someone mentioned Croaker though. Give me some nice golden croakers over a speck any day of the week. Cut the head off and scale them. Fry them whole. that's some good eating.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 02:54 PM

A ling will scarf a hardhead down in a flash. I don't know anything else that gets after them that fast.

Old timer I knew told me to take a small hardhead,cut its side fins off with pliers and drop it to the bottom

It would crawl on the bottom grunting and a big red will snatch it up quick

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 04:32 PM

But how would you hook them whole or slice them up???
Posted By: Trey_98

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 06:24 PM

I would stick to Reds or flounder.. Just ask yourself, Would you eat snot and dirt?? Then you will find your answer.. smile

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 03/31/15 11:31 PM

Not the same fish. Sane people catch gaff tops
Hardheads are nasty little catfish with poison in their fins. I still have knots in my fingers from the little buggers stabbing me when I was eight years old.

Eat all you want but if a Seadrift crabber won't use them in their traps I don't want to mess with it.

did you know that in your name if you switch some letters you can spell gaff top. watch the transformation!!
Pat Goff
Gaff top

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/01/15 02:06 AM

Oh jeesh...
Now that's funny, especially anyone that knows me and what a fit I raise to keep a snot rocket off my scooter.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/01/15 10:53 AM

Who'd have thought we'd get this much mileage out of a thread about eating hardheads................ clap

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/01/15 11:49 AM

We should start bowfshing for them......

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/01/15 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy
We should start bowfshing for them......

coolio Now thats a good idea!!

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/01/15 08:51 PM

You can also use hard-head for shark-bait Ive heard
Posted By: HobieRay57

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/02/15 07:19 PM

Ask Mikey he likes everything.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/02/15 09:17 PM

You'd have to be Robin Hood to harpoon a Hardhead.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/02/15 09:52 PM

I was flounder gigging one time and saw a hardhead before he saw me and i gigged him real quick! coolio

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/04/15 02:35 PM

You would be surprised how many we would kill

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/04/15 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy

You would be surprised how many we would kill

it would be a good way to get rid of the nasty suckers
Posted By: PaulZ2

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/05/15 04:24 AM

If im stranded on an Island and im starving to death then they MAY be edible. Other than that... I will stick to my trout, flounder, etc.. banana bannana2
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/05/15 03:30 PM

you could eat anything but i would go after tastier species

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/07/15 04:45 PM

You can also use hard-head for shark-bait Ive heard- Shark bait? cut off the fins and barbs and then drop em in the ocean?

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/07/15 09:02 PM

Leave the fins on. Sharks eat stingrays. They ain't skeered of a catfish.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/08/15 06:41 PM

it would be a good way to get rid of the nasty suckers# I have seen people deliberately kill hard heads on purpose. Is this good practice? if we keep throwing them back then they will be the only fish left in the ocean?

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/08/15 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasNoob

it would be a good way to get rid of the nasty suckers# I have seen people deliberately kill hard heads on purpose. Is this good practice? if we keep throwing them back then they will be the only fish left in the ocean?

hardheads are a PITA but I'm sure just another food source/clean up fish like pinfish and piggy perch

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/08/15 09:11 PM

Everything serves a purpose. Hardheads have a reason for being here.
Mosquitoes, on the other hand...............................
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/09/15 12:27 PM

If I ever get to the point where I have to eat hardheads I'm taking up golf.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/11/15 02:56 AM

i've eaten hardhead court buillion and it was great. didn't know what it was till after eating it. decent meat, just a pita to clean and very little meat for your effort.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/11/15 03:48 AM

Leave the fins on. Sharks eat stingrays. They ain't skeered of a catfish.** The shark may not be skeered but I am scared of getting a barb stuck in my belly on my way to drop the hardhead for shark bait! I wonder if they live along time on the hook with their barbs cut.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/12/15 11:01 AM

Never tried them
Posted By: sps468

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/14/15 03:20 AM

What i do to make them fried roll the filets in spicey or regular mustard then put the corn meal or other seasoning you use on them and fry them up.
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/14/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasNoob
You can also use hard-head for shark-bait Ive heard- Shark bait? cut off the fins and barbs and then drop em in the ocean?

Shark dont eat them if that tells you anything. Yes Ive tried.
Posted By: fastpitch

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/14/15 06:35 PM

Years ago I brought some home for fertilizer in the flower beds. One of the neighborhood cats dug one up and chewed on it for a minute, then committed suicide.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 04/15/15 02:40 AM

That was funny.
Posted By: pineywoods

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/03/15 11:55 PM

First rule for eating a hardhead is to catch it and get it home without anyone else seeing you. Kind of like a slow duck hunting morning in East Texas that I had years ago when I decided to shoot 7 or 8 coots for gumbo (they are really good that way). On the way in I saw the warden checking hunters at the ramp. So,I piled my decoy bags on top of the coots, pulled in, and started loading up. I thought I was getting away when he finally walked over. "Get any ducks?" he asked. I truthfully answered "No." But he walked over to the boat, moved the decoy bags, saw the coots, turned and walked away. I heard him mumble "Oh my god."
Posted By: huntinfish

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/05/15 08:08 PM

funny
Posted By: huntinfish

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/05/15 08:10 PM

My dad told me one time that he went to a bar that was frying fish and serving their customers. He went out back and said it was all hardheads. Said people were going around bragging about how great the fish was. Guess maybe soaking yourself in whiskey for a couple hours would help.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/06/15 04:08 AM

Booze generally makes everything better.
Posted By: Shingles

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/06/15 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Booze generally makes everything better.

True fact
Posted By: infinity_656

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/11/15 05:58 AM

I have always tossed hard heads back Why because dad said too. .
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/21/15 10:24 PM

Tastes like catfish, if you cut the red meat off, it tastes great.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/26/15 03:34 AM

Do hardheads make good crab bait?

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/26/15 03:41 AM

The crabbers in seadrift won't use them.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 05/26/15 03:57 AM

Wow even a crab wont eat hardheads? I know they are dangerous to mess with because of the spines and may not be worth the risk but surely if presented itself a crab will gnaw on a hardhead?

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 06/24/15 03:45 AM

Just wanted to say that I caught lots of hard heads on my last fishing trip.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 06/25/15 01:20 AM

So,
We get you caught them, did you fillet them up and give it a go?
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 06/25/15 05:48 PM

Buncha "Hard Heads" on this forum... argue

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 06/26/15 03:38 AM

I did try some fried up. Not too bad but not delicious. They are good depending on how hungry you are and considering they are the only thing I caught that day... I think I am going to stick to freshwater fishing.

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 06/26/15 11:11 AM

That's really too bad, but not the first person to go that route.
When you throw the bait bucket away, and fish in the bay like you fish for bass in the lake, it gets way more interesting, and you won't be bothered with stuff you don't want to be bothered with.
Posted By: fastpitch

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 06/26/15 04:50 PM

If you are basing your decision to stick to freshwater based on eating hardheads, I don't blame you, hardheads are awful. But, IMHO, trout reds, & flounder are better than any freshwater species, and more fun to catch. Although crappie & catfish is pretty good tablefare.
Posted By: fishinagain

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 07/09/15 01:42 AM

Tried it once.... ehh, but will try again if I cook it to be sure. Didn't like how it was prepared.
Posted By: Rockdodger00

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 07/15/15 04:25 AM

Snot rocket... That's just too funny. Ha! Never considerred it though.
Posted By: Olhipi

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 07/19/15 05:47 PM

Cajuns could make one taste Good with enough Seasoning , as for everybody else , throw it back and don't touch it . Snot fish !!
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Are Hard Heads Edible? - 07/23/15 05:28 PM

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum