Texas Fishing Forum

Ramrod Key FL

Posted By: 95champ

Ramrod Key FL - 02/28/15 03:54 PM

We are going down June 14-21. We are going with friends who have a 22' T-Top. I was thinking about taking a Calcutta 200 on a 7'9" xh rod and an Abu 5600c on a 7' heavy rod both spooled with 50lb. braid and some 15 and 20 lb flourocarbon leader. Will I continually be getting my heartbroken or can I expect reasonable results with these setups? Pardon me if this is a stupid question but this is my first saltwater fishing experience.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 02/28/15 05:11 PM

What are you fishing for? I fish the Keys with tackle ranging from a 2 weight to a 12 weight, and (rarely -- I seldom use anything but a fly rod) conventional tackle from light rigs with 4 lb. mono or 10 lb. braid to 9/0 reels with heavy line for those infrequent (can't afford them) offshore trips. Match the tackle to the fish and conditions. You'll need heavier tackle fishing the bottom around reefs, wrecks, and channel ledges or bridge pilings so you can horse the fish away from the cover, but you can have a ball with light tackle inshore. Last year I caught a lot of fish on the 2 weight wading right behind our RV at Bahia Honda SP. But your host with the boat can probably give you the best advice, since he'll be the one who knows how you'll be fishing. He may not want to tie up the boat chasing down big fish hooked on light tackle, and he may have specific techniques and tackle requirements already planned. However it goes, have fun. I wish I could afford to move back down there. Good luck!

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 02/28/15 05:21 PM

Appreciate the info. Plan on a great time.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 02/28/15 05:58 PM

What are you going to target ?
I've caught tarpon to 100 lbs on 20 lb mono with 40 lb leader on a wide spool baitcaster
I would want wider spool versions of the reels mentioned. . 6500 or 7000 on the Abu.
50 lb braid may be over kill.
You will want some wire if you play with barracuda and sharks.
Where are you located ? I could loan some bigger reels if you are interested. .
Mo

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 02/28/15 06:39 PM

According to my friend, I think he's fishing for whatever he can catch. He did mention small grouper,snapper,and such. He said they use pinfish and small crabs and seldom fish beyond the reefs. Thanks for the offer on equipment but I'm not into borrowing others stuff.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 03/01/15 11:56 PM

we go every 4-5 yrs with a boat and our trout/reds tackle. i always take a 3500 spinner on a 8' rod and another 8' rod with a 6500 abu for hanging out the back of the boat for whatever. we hang an occasional tarpon or shark(have yet to land a tarpon), but mostly we get snapper, cuda, pompano and reds. good luck.

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 03/02/15 03:43 PM

Thanks smooth. It'll be a great time for sure.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 03/03/15 07:46 PM

Take some heavier gear and try for tarpon , you won't regret it ,

Night fishing under the bridges with pinfish or mullet should do the trick.

MO

Re: Ramrod Key FL - 03/03/15 10:52 PM

Thanks Mo, all this is great info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum