Texas Fishing Forum

port aransas

Posted By: Bayboatstore

port aransas - 02/28/15 01:42 AM

Looking for a good spot to catch redfish in Port Aransas. Been running towboats down there for years so i am somwwhat familiar with the area,but never got to fish it.
Posted By: btoutdoors

Re: port aransas - 02/28/15 03:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! I bet someone will chime in and give you some area's to try.
Posted By: Gulfer

Re: port aransas - 02/28/15 05:13 AM

Try the ferry landings.
Posted By: Bayboatstore

Re: port aransas - 02/28/15 04:58 PM

Roder on the ferry landings. Thanks for the info Gulfer. What about the flats to the south of the ship channel across from the old Navy base?
Posted By: Undertow

Re: port aransas - 02/28/15 10:03 PM

Was there in November crossing on the Ferry. My brother made me aware of how the reds school up in the ferry landing lights. It was amazing how many decent sized reds you could see. Of course now I'm curious, is there a way to access that and fish it?
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: port aransas - 02/28/15 10:42 PM

Ferry Boat Captians will call the Coast Guard on you if you get too close and don't heed their warning.
Posted By: Undertow

Re: port aransas - 02/28/15 11:18 PM

No I knew you couldn't get near there with a boat. Just wondering if there's a place to cast from the shore. obviously not right in the ferry lanes, but somewhere close enough to try and get some action there at night.
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: port aransas - 02/28/15 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Po Boy
Ferry Boat Captians will call the Coast Guard on you if you get too close and don't heed their warning.

They will. We found out the hard way
Posted By: j_mit

Re: port aransas - 03/01/15 04:17 AM

Just east of there, pilings. I have seen boats tied up fishing for reds. Be careful tide can be dangerous. We will be there fishing March 14-15.
Posted By: TOO

Re: port aransas - 03/01/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bayboatstore
Roder on the ferry landings. Thanks for the info Gulfer. What about the flats to the south of the ship channel across from the old Navy base?

You inquiring about Ransom and Dagger flats or the islands across the CC ship channel from the Naval Base at Ingleside? Those islands usually are better for trout and flounder, except maybe for the fall redfish run.

You can find reds in lots of places with a boat, Dagger, Ransom, Steadmans, South bay, Brown & Roots, Hog island, & Estes flats; Morris & cumming channel, Quarantine shoreline, East Flats, Shamrock cove, CC east shoreline, Harbor island west shore, the Port Aransas Jetties, and many more areas. Where/when to fish those spots depends on how you want to fish and water conditions/time of year & day.

Without a boat you got plenty places to fish for reds as well; Jetties, several drive up spots, the surf, several piers, and lots of areas to drive up and wade fish. The when/where comment above holds true as well.

You can fish and catch the ferry area from the bank with the right tackle, gear, wind and so on. Its hard to do, often the spot is taken, but we've done it and caught and lost fish at the ferries. Fun to have "rookies" fishing close by when we've brought a red to the wall. Sometimes have to stop them and explain why it's not Ok to wander into our group and cast over all of us. Most times they understand, some times we've had to "re-educate" them a bit further.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum