Texas Fishing Forum

Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods

Posted By: fenderfishing88

Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/11/15 10:42 PM

What's everyone's favorite thinking about updating my arsenal kind of accident prone so I paired a quantum smoke 40 with the new 6' ugly stik graphite rod a little heavy on the reel thinking about going smaller for the reel looking for trout and slot reds and flounder
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/12/15 10:32 PM

I like my 7 ft Ugly Stik GX2 rods paired with an Ambassador 5500 with 12 to 14 pound line. The new GX2 rods are 2 piece to make for easy traveling and are surprisingly light. They are my go to bass rods too.
Posted By: FreeFall

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/15/15 12:07 AM

You have a price range in mind? I've been using a penn battle 3000 on a 7'6 trout rod for almost 3yrs non stop with no issues. I have pulled in everything with no issues. Wash it grease and go. I also have a lews speed spin inshore you can get some good distance with that reel. I like the penns because you can send them in for cleaning for 25 and parts are easy to find.
Posted By: ALLANGT

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/15/15 11:40 AM

My favorite is a Shimano Saros 3000 with a 7' medium Star Seagis.

Also like the 7' or 7'6" Calico Jack medium light and medium rods. They are only like $60 from Dick's. Have a few of them with various Shimano Symetres and Saharas.
Posted By: fenderfishing88

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/15/15 01:57 PM

yea I fish shimanos too I just didnt want to take anything that nice for a dip in a salt bath. I decided to try out that smoke and lost a bearing in it after probably 3 times in salt but it did take a few baths while wade fishing held up really nice against slot black drum .nice kayak ive been thinking about getting one whats the best for inshore fishing as far as stability
Posted By: BudT

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/16/15 08:30 AM

Man it's all about budget, and how much you can get away with.... As far as reels I have had really good service from my Lew's Speed Spool bait casters (TS1H) I believe. The idea is to do your best to keep em out of the drink. It doesn't matter what reel you have, if it gets dunked sooner or later its gonna have problems. I should also say I do pull my stuff down and clean them completely and re-lube them at least twice a year, with a couple of quick cleans in between. As for rods, I've been building my own now for a few years so I don't have a lot of recent market / retail experience there. I can tell you several of the solid tournament redfish fisherman I fish with fish the Academy Blue Rods. Check em out, good luck.
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/16/15 10:57 PM

My all around every day combo is a daiwa tatula with 6'6" classic all star poppin rod. Have landed everything from 6" piggies to 20lb jacks and a 2.5' blacktip. By far the daiwa has required the least bit of maintenence over any reel I've purchased in 10 years. I bought 2, 1 to test without maintenence and 1 that I does rigorous cleaning, oiling, teardown etc. I can't physically feel any difference in the 2 and they get fished at least 6 days a month in salty Aransas bay.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/16/15 11:45 PM

I have been pretty happy with daiwa lexa rods.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Inshore fishing reels paired with medium-medium light rods - 02/18/15 01:00 AM

Old green curado and a falcon bucco or low rider. 200 bucks give or take. If you find a 100b or 100d that's the best in my opinion.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum