Texas Fishing Forum

Rock Port / Port Aransas

Posted By: j_mit

Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/06/15 02:41 AM

Hoping to come down first or second weekend of March, and looking for any advice. Have a 24' center console, and just want to catch some fish. What we be the best species to target? Were up for anything, even the possibility of off shore if the weather permits.
Posted By: btoutdoors

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/07/15 01:24 PM

I will be down there about that time also. Hopefully the fishing will be good. Good Luck!
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/08/15 09:21 AM

This is the time of year that the bays really open up for the predators from the Gulf of Mexico as they start invading our Texas bay systems and start producing numbers for the fish box.

The biggest flounder I ever caught was in March - over shell, no less.

28 3/4" flounder swimming sideways in 2 ft. of SaltH20 ... just a beautiful and an awesome experience I will never forget.

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/08/15 02:25 PM

Grinders 55 predators, as in sharks? what's some advice on flounder?

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/08/15 04:32 PM

Game fish ( trout, reds and flounder) are predators.

Sharks don't really invade the bays like they do the surf, and that's when the water gets real warm in the summer.

I wade fish the bays a lot and rarely see a shark.

Large flounder will invade the bays with the first few spring bull tides.

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/08/15 11:50 PM

Thanks for the help!

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/08/15 11:57 PM

How do you make the pictures just show up, instead of the link?

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/09/15 04:43 AM

easy and quick way is tinypic - just upload your pic, copy the code and post it here

http://tinypic.com/

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/10/15 03:36 AM

Captain full moon weekend or no moon weekend? or does it matter? Bay fishing

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/10/15 08:05 PM

As far as bay fishing, I've got areas that produce on a new moon, ... some on a full moon.

One of my favorite spots to wade (it's in my book) - moon phase doesn't matter, it's a high tide that turns it on no matter what time of day! Another one of my fav's produces a Texas Slam quite often on low tide 3 out of our 4 seasons. My fishing logs - that go back to the 1960's - continue to confirm that as I type this.

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/11/15 01:48 AM

Any books that will help out with boat fishing? My boats hull is a little deep for some of the flats. I have been fishing Arkansas bay mostly.

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/12/15 10:35 PM

j_mit, check your PM box
Posted By: jugmaster

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/13/15 12:43 PM

Go fish the Fina dock for sheepshead and drum. It's across from the harbor.
Easy access and good fishing.
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/23/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Grinder55
This is the time of year that the bays really open up for the predators from the Gulf of Mexico as they start invading our Texas bay systems and start producing numbers for the fish box.

The biggest flounder I ever caught was in March - over shell, no less.

28 3/4" flounder swimming sideways in 2 ft. of SaltH20 ... just a beautiful and an awesome experience I will never forget.

Sorry to Hijack the thread, but you caught the state record flounder and didn't submit it? Rod and Reel Record is 13 lbs 28.0 inches. That must have been an awesome fish!

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/24/15 12:24 AM

mbsfish, I fish for trout, so I didn't bother weighing it, we I ate it and it fed my family of 4 plus my dad and one of my fishin' buds we called "Big Daddy". Never thought it would be close to a State Record. Wished I would have known that back then !!!

That particular flounder was caught in Carlos Bay back in 1997 in March.

Big Daddy caught a monster 27" + flounder in 2003 in Copano Bay in August at Wade Fish Location #6 in my WadeFish Rockport book on a the Rockport Rattler jigs I invented.

We smoked that over mesquite and it was awesome !!!

Back in the 1950's my dad told me my grandfather caught trout that weighed 14 lb.'s in Copano Bay and Capt. Billy Sandifer, who works out of Corpus Christi, has a pic of of his dad with a 15 lb. trout - both would be State Records today if entered.

I've seen quite a few of 26" - 28" flounder caught on rod n'reel over the past 50 years.

I'd bet there have been a lot of "State Record" flounders caught on rod n' reel - but just never entered.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/24/15 01:25 PM

nice fish, tasty too, i bet.
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: Rock Port / Port Aransas - 02/24/15 02:36 PM

What a doormat!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum