Texas Fishing Forum

Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th

Posted By: Clint W.

Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/27/13 08:30 PM

Gonna be my first time bay fishing since I was 15 yrs old. Bringing my 13 yr old son and my bay boat. I would appreciate info on where to buy bait (live shrimp/croaker/mullet). We'll be targeting the normal species reds, specs, etc... It's been almost 30 yrs since I've done this, so any input/advice will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this will be the first of many trips down there. Thanks.
Posted By: searay

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/27/13 09:27 PM

There are lots of bait stands at the marina in Rockport, cove harbor has a bait stand and boat ramp. We caught these reds on the tip of mud island last weekend and the trout in the Aransas channel on live shrimp.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/27/13 10:17 PM

Thanks searay. Looks like you had a successful outing. I'm hoping it will all come back to me when we get down there. Although fishing for LMB & stripers is fun, I miss fishing the Gulf & bays. I'll let you know how we do.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/27/13 10:26 PM

Hit me up the week before and I will give you a report, I will be down almost every weekend in July.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/27/13 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: searay
Hit me up the week before and I will give you a report, I will be down almost every weekend in July.

Will do. My son is reading these posts. He said thanks for your advice.
Posted By: Kayak Fisher Frisco

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/28/13 04:46 AM

Live shrimp on the bay is sound advice. I usually take a throw net and hit a few areas before we head over to the bait shop. I can usually net enough to save the trip. Got an extra net if you want to borrow it. Would trade for a day on that pond behind your office. Lol.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/28/13 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayak Fisher Frisco
Live shrimp on the bay is sound advice. I usually take a throw net and hit a few areas before we head over to the bait shop. I can usually net enough to save the trip. Got an extra net if you want to borrow it. Would trade for a day on that pond behind your office. Lol.

Agreed. That cast net come with instructions?
Posted By: Kayak Fisher Frisco

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/29/13 04:15 AM

I can teach you how to throw it in a few minutes. Your son will have no problem if you can't get the hang of it! I'll bring one by next week so you have time to practice.
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/29/13 01:52 PM

Posted By: 1214

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 06/30/13 07:04 PM

Bass pro has a video that's always running in the AC!

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/01/13 01:21 AM

LOL...I'm actually pretty good at throwing a cast net. Teaching my 13 yr old son now. Can't wait to get down there.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/01/13 10:15 PM

I know your son is reading this so here's a pick from Saturday
My wife and I caught our limits and caught and released 2 more limits
Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/02/13 02:58 AM

any good fishing on the piers down there?
Posted By: TheCatcherman4

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/07/13 03:19 AM

Where r u fishing at sea ray and what r u using?

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/07/13 11:49 PM

Caught these in the Aransas channel between tarpon springs bait house and Port A using cut skip jack 3 weeks ago we caught them at mudd island

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/08/13 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: searay
I know your son is reading this so here's a pick from Saturday
My wife and I caught our limits and caught and released 2 more limits

Those are some nice looking fish. Doing my research now. We have our reservation at the Fulton Inn locked in and are gearing up for the trip. We fish with a number of different bass rigs, looking into purchasing a couple of inshore rigs. Anything you would recommend in regards to tackle? All help is appreciated. My son is cutting the yard a little too often to increase his allowance for gear.
Posted By: dead_eye_dick

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/08/13 04:09 AM

Been there a few times. Dat Ngyuen, the former Dallas Cowboy, bought his mother a bait shop there. It's called...... Mom's. Nice people. Usually get squid and shrimp there for reds or whatever else wants it. Usually catch hardheads and gafftops from shore or pier but every now and then get little hammerheads, croakers, sheepsheads, etc. there are literally at least ten bait shops in town. Great town to visit. Going yaking there pretty soon. Dat Ngyuen also has a restraint there and I believe it's called Who Dats but forgive me if I'm wrong. Also forgive me if you knew all of this but just wanted to share the limited experience I've had there. Also, there is a place where you can wade fish halfway between Rockport and Port A where an old yacht got beached and the redfish are pretty thick. The people there are nice. Just ask around and you will find some good advice. Great flounder too.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/08/13 04:21 AM

First time wade fishin in Rickport

First gaff top lol

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/08/13 04:23 AM

Also plenty of bait shops around Fulton pier and there pier is lighted at night (blue I think). $3 entry fee but worth it.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/08/13 04:42 AM

Also plenty of jetties to fish from.

Charlotte Plummers has excellent stuffed flounder.
Tight lines and big fish.
- Dick

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/08/13 07:36 PM

Thanks for the input D E D. 18 days, can't wait.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/11/13 01:14 PM

2 weeks and my son and I will be in Rockport/Fulton for 4 days. You coastal guys (except for a few) are tight lipped compared to the fishermen up here in North TX. Not looking for secret honey holes, just general areas and suggestions in regards to tackle and rigging will be greatly appreciated. A lot has changed in the last 38 years since I've lived/fished down there. SeaRay, I'll PM you in about a week to get your input, and thanks again for the help. GTN.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/11/13 10:20 PM

I am heading down this weekend to give it another try so I will let you know. I use medium rods with 30lb power pro on a spinning reel then I tie a large swivel and then a 30lb mono leader we caught this brute about 3 weeks ago on this type of setup, we did fight him for 45 min and chase him in the boat for over a mile but that's the fun of light tackle.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/16/13 02:52 PM

A little over a week till my son and I are there. How much live bait (shrimp, croaker, pins, etc...) should I get for 2 fishermen to last a full day in the bay? Do the bait shops take credit cards or are they cash only? What's the average cost for enough bait to last a day for 2 fishermen? Trying to cover all my bases. Other than keeping sun screened hands out of the bait tank, what other suggestions do you have for keeping bait alive and healthy?

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/16/13 11:59 PM

The bait stands in the marina take cash, a qt of shrimp is running $12 I buy 2 at a time. I made a bait well out of a old cooler I drilled a hole and ran the bubbler tube through the hole. I can keep changing the water this way and add ice every now and then they will last all day this way. and like you said keep the suntan lotion away. This past weekend pics fishing with the wife. I will pm you later this week the pics are not the best my wifes phone

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/17/13 03:36 PM

Thanks searay. Look forward to hearing from you.

Re: Going to Rockport July 25th - 28th - 07/18/13 10:01 PM

http://www.stxmaps.com/go/aransas-bay-st-charles-bay-fishing.html
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum