Texas Fishing Forum

Matagorda or ?? area fishing

Posted By: luvs2fish2

Matagorda or ?? area fishing - 04/09/13 10:18 AM

Please excuse me if this gets lengthy, but I really need some help. I've been fishing at Rollover Pass and Galveston Fishing Pier since January with very little luck except for one day at GFP when I caught about 40 whiting. I am looking for a place to fish that is accessible by pickup truck. I don't have 4WD and don't have a boat.
I'm willing to fish the surf, bays, piers, rock groins, jetties or whatever as long as I can safely get there with 2WD. I don't mind wading some, but due to some physical handicaps, I can't walk much more than half a mile, so I would need to drive in at least most of the way.
I would like to target redfish, specs, flounder and sand trout. I'm not after monster sized fish, just some good fishing fun and hopefully some keepers.
I just need some help finding where to fish with a decent opportunity of catching something other than whiting and hardheads.
I live in NE Texas near Tyler, so I would not mind fishing anywhere from High Island to Matagorda.
Posted By: Joseph Starr

Re: Matagorda or ?? area fishing - 04/09/13 10:17 PM

If the sand is tight, u can fish san luis pass
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Matagorda or ?? area fishing - 04/10/13 01:38 PM

The rock groins can be good...but not very consistent. The jetties will require a much longer walk. Have you thought about getting a kayak? that would be perfect for you and you can really get to where the fish are. Really opens up the water for you and you can even use it to get to a nice wade fishing flat. Especially with the distance your already driving... also, you could use it bass fishing in lakes up where you are at.
Posted By: hardheadking

Re: Matagorda or ?? area fishing - 04/14/13 11:05 PM

If you go to Galveston go down to the State park. you can wade there.

If you go down to Port Aransas go to the Mustang Island state park there is a small jetty for gulf fishing and of course there are the big jetties in town.

Also look at Shamrock Cove at Port A.

I just got a small kayak for fresh water fishing and it is amazing how they can get you places you couldn't normally go.

I know how it is w/o a boat. I have a kenner now but I struggled before. There weren't many kayaks back then.

don
Posted By: surfguy

Re: Matagorda or ?? area fishing - 04/16/13 02:10 PM

Matagorda is good. The harbor, under the bridge, surf or diversion channel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum