Texas Fishing Forum

Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.?

Posted By: Fisherman Ed

Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/20/03 02:14 PM

I've been looking at Penn and Shimano reels for kings, oil rigs, etc. I don't want some huge reel with 70# line. I would think that 30# mono would be sufficient. I like the Shimano Charter Specials a lot. They have 3 bearings, levelwind, and the lever drag which is really neat. Penn also has a new reel, the 320LD, which is similar to Shimano's Charter Special. What type reels to you other guys use? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Ed Utley
Posted By: Islander1989

Re: Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/20/03 08:44 PM

I like the Ambassador 7000's myself. Used them on the boat I deckhanded on and never had a problem as long as we did a little preventative maintenance. I think that is true with any reel used in saltwater though.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/21/03 04:20 AM

My 30lb reel is a Progear 541, I like it very much and they are inexpensive (like $150 or so). A Shimano Torium would also be a good choice. Myself, I don't like the levelwinds but that is a personal choice.

Earl
Posted By: Captn C

Re: Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/21/03 08:03 PM

I use TR-200G's for kingfish on my boat. They are simple enough for my customer to use and if one goes over the side ( which has happened a couple times) they are only $75 each. I have some that are on their second season of use so they are pretty durable. The 310 GT isn't too bad either they cost a little more $85, but they good reels.

[This message has been edited by Captn C (edited 11-21-2003).]
Posted By: heisenberg

Re: Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/21/03 08:27 PM

Penn Senator 3/0
I've used the same one for 18 years.

Re: Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/23/03 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Captn C:
I use TR-200G's for kingfish on my boat. They are simple enough for my customer to use and if one goes over the side ( which has happened a couple times) they are only $75 each. I have some that are on their second season of use so they are pretty durable. The 310 GT isn't too bad either they cost a little more $85, but they good reels.

[This message has been edited by Captn C (edited 11-21-2003).]

Captn C

Do you like the lever drags or star drag systems? I have not owned a lever drag reel but they seem to be much better than star drags on bigger saltwater fish.

------------------
Ed Utley
Posted By: Bazztex

Re: Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/24/03 02:15 AM

_Hey Ed: I'll give you my thoughts about lever drags Vs Star drag reels. If I had to pick just one style all of my reels would be lever drags. This would be because of the infinate adjustability durring a prolonged fight with a Large Fish.

_I recently bought a Shimmano (Triton Lever Drag ) TLD 25 off Ebay/Saltwater Fishing and got a good deal. I caught a 6ft+ 150Lb+ Sandbar Shark with it and it performed flawlessly. I was able to constantly adjust to the drag to accomidate the movements of the fish. If you like fishing with light lines and rods... lever drags are a must in my opinion.

_Star Drags are fine for bottom fishing because most of the fight is straight down. If you're after Pelegic Fish that tend to run off lots of line and require drag settings to be adjusted... then a Lever Drag is a Much Better choice. The Lever Drag Reels usually cost a little more...but I belive them to be worth it.

_Just My 2 Cents...I'm sure Captn C will give you a better over view with his vast experiance on charter boats. I'm just a rookie up next to what he knows...but I know what works for me!!

_ Happy Holidays...Good Luck and Catch A Big'un Yall!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bazztex<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: Best Offshore Reel for Kings, Etc.? - 11/24/03 01:51 PM

BAZZTEX,

Thanks for your reply. Your post confirmed my thoughts on the lever drag reels. That is the way I'm going to go on my next saltwater reel purchase.

------------------
Ed Utley
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum