Texas Fishing Forum

rollover pass

Posted By: Joe Young

rollover pass - 05/23/03 03:58 PM

How do you get to rollover pass? I have heard lots of great things about it and want to give it a try. I live on the west sid of Houston and would appreciate any advice (bait, times, etc.) and especially directions. I will be fishing from the dock/pier? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: LimpRod

Re: rollover pass - 05/23/03 06:59 PM

Joe,
Head south to Galvatraz. Take the ferry over to Boliver. Rollover pass is approx. 20 miles from the ferry landing. There are bait shops in the area.

Good Luck!
Posted By: hcstewart

Re: rollover pass - 05/24/03 07:48 PM

if you go to rollover pass, please let me know how it is. my wife and i and our granddaughter have rented a beach house close to rollover pass the first week of june and hope to do some fishing. thanks much.
Posted By: NotSoGoodFisherman

Re: rollover pass - 05/26/03 05:52 PM

Rollover Pass (the pass itself) is more of a recreational fishing area for the kids. If you want to do some serious fishing there I recommend preparing to wade out behind the pass towards East Bay. I have only been down there twice, but both times there were quite a few people at the pass all catching small trout on live shrimp. All the serious fishermen were wading or using a kayak to get out to East Bay. Who knows though. Anyone had any good luck fishing right there at the pass?
Posted By: hcstewart

Re: rollover pass - 05/26/03 10:44 PM

appreciate the information. I fished rollover pass many many years ago and people would stand three deep cathing croakers. we will just have to see how this trip goes. not to good at wade fishing anymore, but might try.
Posted By: striker

Re: rollover pass - 05/27/03 12:10 AM

Went there last year and caught a few. The croaker were huge and good eatin' too! Big gafftop and black drum were the special of the weekend. My buddy caught a 36", 23 lb.er. There were a LOT of people there on that weekend. Very crowded. Wading seemed to be a big thing too. People were catching specks in the bay area. Be careful if planning to wade due to the dangerous currents. Good luck!
Posted By: Tra.De

Re: rollover pass - 05/28/03 05:19 AM

Rollover pass is a good place to wade for trout and sometimes reds. wading the gulfside of the pass is somewhat tricky at first with the current and such. just observed the waders there and where they stand before going into the water. last year i waded there about 20-25 times. on a few days i have caught the limit easily within an hour or so. soft plastics such as trout killers or bass assasins work well and also mirrolures. im planning to go this friday if the weather, tide, and wind looks good. I'll write back with a report.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum