Texas Fishing Forum

Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!!

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 12:34 AM

look at this report... no Yellowfins, but a bunch of blackfins. I am gonna be on the next one as long as I can get a hold of them in the morning and get a reservation. ANyone else want to go ?? I have no idea what it costs... but I am gonna be there. They open at 9 am in the morning. I will be ringing them.
http://www.galveston.com/captjohn/report.shtml

~~~ $250.00 per person. Not too bad.
~~~ November 27-28.
Posted By: galveston1602

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 12:53 AM

Ill be there
almost called them today actually!
Posted By: DeepBlueGulf

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 01:43 AM

I talked to Elliot's out of Freeport today, and they've added a 48-hr trip the weekend of December 4th. Check out their website, and don't forget to sign up for the free trip on the "Big E" when it shows up early next year.

http://deep-sea-fishing.com/

DeepBlueGulf - Tom

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 01:48 AM

Kewl! A question... why dont the ppl on the Capt John catch any YFT??? Think it is thier rods, or the boat not chumming them up?? Saw where they had to fish 300' down to get the blackfins. They fish basically the same rigs (tequilla/cerveza). Maybe Galveston and I can add some YFT pics to thier homepage!! We could make history!!! FIRST TO CATCH YFT off the new Capt John!!!

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 03:26 AM

SKR I think they dont catch many (any) yft because they dont chunk. they mainly freeline sardines and use diamond jigs from what I can tell. aparently they also do alot of deep dropping and such.
plus they dont go all the way out to the spars.
the rods they have are actually pretty nice tld25 on custom rods(they're cheap custom but still nice)
they do fish with pink 80lb ande so that could have something to do with it as well.
I suspect you could be shot on their boat for cutting up a BFT and chunking it out for bait.
you could presumably use some bonito for the chunk.
I mean they apparently fish shrimpers and other structure deep enough for yft but not 1 to be found. look here (make sure you used the cached link or its all broken)
all I do know the boat is totally centered on snapper and do tuna as a side thing in the winter.
whats funny is its shorter to the spars from galveston than it is from port a. go figure.
Im willing to give it a try as I need something bigger than 8lbs to gimme a pull and they do seem to catch plenty of bft but, doesnt everybody laugh

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 03:49 AM

maybe if we talk to the captain(s) beforehand and tell them we want to catch YFT, he will let us chunk, but what about chum?? do they chum? ANd they use the Capt John ship right, not the little Texsun II????

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 03:51 AM

maybe you should mention it on the phone smile im sure you can chunk but its pretty ineffective without the corresponding chum. ive never seen them chum anything. absolutely on the capt john. I wouldnt be as willing to go on the texsun I dont think. that link was for old articles in the local paper. they used to use the texsun.
Posted By: Snagged

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 10:56 AM

Chunking is only effective if you have a good chumline, that take a number of people soaking bait and/or a chumchurn.
As someone said they are still geared for snapper and oneshot tourist fishing.
The number of people they have on the boat would make catching YF difficult unless ALL understood the tuna shuffle. You won't find that among tourist.
Last but not least, you need to travel to the YF grounds if your serious about catching them.
Posted By: akaCaster

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/12/04 04:26 PM

I'm up for just about any trip but will be out of state til Dec. If you line something up later, I'll help fill out a boat. It's my duty. wink

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/13/04 02:04 AM

I am sure we will have something come up as far as the Tres Tuna replacement trip. Everyone has to get together and let TOO know when the best time is. I was voting for Jan or Feb. This little offshore excursion in Galveston is just for sheeeets and giggles. Kinda get some of the Tuna head syndrome back within limits.

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/13/04 02:19 PM

Going to pay today for the 36 hr trip on nov. 27
need to devise a way to catch bait for a week ahead of time and keep it alive. seems to me with the right bait a person could limit on aj's on this boat.

Ima thinkin we are gunna have to speak to the captain about chunking/chumming
as I suspect most tourists wouldnt make a 36hr run. I guess we'll know by how many custom rods are in the holders upon boarding. If anyone else cares to go I believe that there is still spots availiable

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/13/04 03:49 PM

I will be fishing the pier the night before. Maybe I should concentrate my efforts to a good piggy perch hangout. Galveston- know of any? Will have to get Capt John to get me a bait tank running so I can bring em over as I get a bucketfull.

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/13/04 07:11 PM

SKR went down today and talked to them.
looks like they are at 15 ppl and she said they need 15 more to run the trip. I
dont think thats totally true as last weeks report said they had 26.
I will be fishing the canals by my house or their docks for perch before we go.
the night before we leave I will prolly be at their docks or home sleepin smile
I was thinking of how to keep piggy's alive for say a week.
I could put them in my canal but im unsure if they will live that way.
If the croakers they are selling for trout bait are big enough I may just stop and buy some of those the morning of dunno yet.
As for perch hangouts; outside the canals in my neighborhood I dunno for sure I know in the past they have produced ok but that was summer time.
lots of the docks around the shrimpboats at pier 21 (where capt john is) look like prime perch habitat.

In looking over the signup sheet today it looks like they havent changed the size of the "spots" for tuna so as usual the stern of the boat looked packed like sardines.
I couldnt get next to you and since they are assigning spots I went right on the starbord side near the stearn.
I must say though that I am going to probably spread out up towards the bow for comfort and castability since the bow is uncovered.

I still cant believe they assign spots for tuna trips confused but, oh well.

I am going to buy some frozen sardines to have as well since they only give squid bait.
I will probably go ahead and get the half case (5 boxes) for the discount they offer.
If you want I can give you the address of the place or I can pick you some up.

WHen are you planning on arriving? I will see what I can do to hook up with you and catch us some perch.
Posted By: Txbiker

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/14/04 02:53 PM

Offshore adventures is running a 12 hr trip every Wed. I was There sat (that trip canceled too) . I talked to Rick and he said they are catching Tuna and amberjack . I am gooing to watch the weather and wave models and make a quicky trip first Wed. that is clear .
Posted By: BradP

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/14/04 03:39 PM

hey skeeterronnie, the capt john is still fishing in too shallow waters to be effective for yft fishing. You might be able to find a few small yft tuna fishing in 5-10lb range but unless theres a shrimpboat working in the teq/cerv area your SOL for yft.

If someone calls and talks to them,ask them if they are going to be making any true deepwater trips to spars and floaters, like gunnison or even Red Hawk, I'd be interested in a trip like that to try out once. Also as stated I don't think you need to chum on a trip like that as the number of lines in the water almost makes its own chumline.

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/14/04 04:32 PM

Hey TXBiker do you know what they charge for a 12 hr? And I assume they are getting into bft not yft right?

Bradp they claim they will make a 60 hr trip in 05 that will go to boomvang/nansen but, its a 500$ trip.
for 60 hrs that sems somewhat high considering their other practices (no ice chests)
Posted By: BradP

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/14/04 05:39 PM

wow, for boomvang and nansen only, that seems like 200 too much. Only thing they have better than private charters fishing there is the ability to go out when its too rough..cause when its calmer there will be normally 3-5 boats+ on bv and nansen already. Maybe Capt Elliots new boat will be the answer for the further out fishing destinations.

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/14/04 06:46 PM

Actually i dont think they've ever done a 60 hr so, who knows where they will be fishing. Capt. elliots old boat seems to do ok when they go. my only problem is they dont go often enough to keep the boats on the light side.
Posted By: Txbiker

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/14/04 07:37 PM

Yes theyt are catchin BFT It's $80 for 12 hrs . They do a good job . I'll be going the next good window . It's every Wed . Just keeping an eye on wind and wave .
Posted By: Pope

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/21/04 04:56 PM

Check out the latest results from the Pelican's trip. Tuna fix cured.
http://www.[censored]/news.php

Pope

Re: Hurtin for a Tuna Fix!! - 11/22/04 05:46 AM

Pope

Did you make the trip? any details? read the report was hoping for pics on their site... maybe monday smile
dont have high yft expectations for our 36hr trip on friday but, when in the deep blue you never know.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum