Texas Fishing Forum

Where to fish at Port A and its vicinity?

Posted By: wrxmania

Where to fish at Port A and its vicinity? - 02/21/03 01:45 AM

Hi this is Duke. i am new to this forum. I would like some help on fishing locations at Port A.

I have been fishing at Port A for the last few years. i fished there like once or twice a year. i honestly never had much luck as i wished fishing there cause of timing and not knowing where to fish(other locations, like bay, flats and wading). I basically didn't go there often enough to find out the good spots and when to fish them there.

so i would like some help and advice in where and when to fish in (Port A/aransas pass/lower laguna madre) this spring and want to make it a good trip. I am planning to go fishing on spring break weekend. March 14 -15. i fished off the horcecadwell pier of the gulf, and the south jetti few times and thats about it. i might more likely go there again this time. are these locations any good for spring? if it is can you tell me when to fish there and how.

can you also give me adivce in spots like flats, bay, or wading areas that you know are productive in spring where it is accessible by foot and or car. i always wanted to fish in the shallows and the bays for specks and reds with jigs and top waters. but not having a boat and not knowing where to go with limited time can be a frustrating and waste of a good day of fishing.

Hey is the Hot spot map from Academy any good? I have a hot spot map of Port A from Academy. There are few spots that i would like to go, but i really don't know where to go. can any of you guys who have this map or used it before show me the good fishing spots. I would really apprecaite your help with this too.

i really appreciate for any info, tips and advice from any of ya'll. thankyou so much.

ps. sorry about tones of questions and stuff.

- Duke

Re: Where to fish at Port A and its vicinity? - 02/21/03 01:47 AM

again sorry for alot of questions... just my nature of asking alot...
Posted By: TOO

Re: Where to fish at Port A and its vicinity? - 02/21/03 03:54 AM

WR, I might be able to help. March is Black Drum time for most folks who are limited to the piers and bank and stuff. Any of the C.C. channel piers can get you on a big drum. Use sea lice or crab as a first choice, big dead shrimp as a no other choice bait. You might get into some gafftop at that time in the channel piers also. Squid and eel best bets. For trout and reds, try fish pass at Mustang Island state park. Turn to the west(right) off 361 before the fish pass bridge. travel back to where C.C. bay opens up. Got mud and grass in front of you there and scattered grass to left towards PINS on the shoreline. I would use a Alameda float and live shrimp if its available, or a Mansfield Mauler and live shrimp. Try the mud area first, then the sand bar and outer area later. Depending how warm, and sunny it is you might look at fishing from say 10:00 to 3:00 pm or so. Water will warm up a little and might get the fish moving and active.......If you do try a top water, a She Dog might be better than a Top Dog, start working it s-l-o-w. Be prepared to spend a few hours fishing without a hit. When the trout and reds are in there thick you can expect awesome fishing, However if they are scattered you might go a long time between bites. Espically with a topwater.... March might be a little to early at fish pass, depends on how warm the water is..... also try south of where the pass opens on the shoreline. Should be some scattered grass beds like I said, a live shrimp, short leader and an Alemeda might find you on some good trout right on top of the grass......beds should be in shallow water. Might try those about noon time on......... Also if it's not too rough might look at the fish pass jetties on the surf end. Cut bait for reds and maybe some trout on Mirrolure catch 2000's. Another option nfor an inexpensive fishing trip would the Island Queen out of woody's. About $25 for 4 hours I believe. They would probably look for drum in March also......hope this helps and just be flexible when your down there. If you've read Minnesota's post I offered to take him down to fish in May. We most likely will start at fish pass ourselves........Got the hot spot map myself and would be glad to help you further if I can.......Bob Hall pier might be a better choice than Caldwell, March can put you on fish there. Stay a way from shrimp unless the fishing is hot. You probably will feed a bunch of hardheads.....been some post in the past here about fishing Port Aransas, either look at old post or do the search thing, they to might help. Good luck.

Re: Where to fish at Port A and its vicinity? - 02/21/03 06:35 AM

Hey Too.

I really appreciate all the info and the help you gave me. thankyou so much. It's been really helpful.

i will try those spots and methods you told me.

thanks abunch
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum