Texas Fishing Forum

Good kayaking/wading fishing spots

Posted By: fishon2.wm

Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/22/12 07:47 PM

Hey all,
I am from Panama City, Florida, and am used to the inshore/offshore fishing of the panhandle. I am currently living in San Antonio and want to go down to the texas coast some time in May. Although I have no clue where to go. Could ya'll share some good spots to do some wade fishing or kayak fishing? Also, what do you guys use bait and lure wise. I know exactly what im doing when it comes to reds, specks, and flounder, just not sure where to go. Any tips and locations would be awesome. Thanks!

Posted By: karnavor2

Re: Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/22/12 09:45 PM

MatagordaBay, Aransas Pass, Mustang Island..all south of you.
THeres also rockport.
Look at a top map to find where some roads dead end at the bays.

Posted By: Saltwaterfishingboy

Re: Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/22/12 10:14 PM

I also have the same Problem. im looking in matagorda,Galveston Bays Go on Youtube and Type in "Texas wade fishing" and click the one by texas parks and wild life. and it should give you a start on were to go and what to look for!

Posted By: Draggin Yak

Re: Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/22/12 10:56 PM

Pick up a Texas Lakes and Bays fishing Atlas. I think I saw them on the counter at a Walmart in the sporting goods section recently.

Posted By: Neumie

Re: Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/23/12 12:47 PM

Google Maps

There are lots of options on th eTexas Coast. Light House Lakes in Aransas Pass is a very popular and productive area.

Posted By: Aggeek

Re: Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/25/12 02:29 AM

If you got a kayak, two great spots are lighthouse lakes paddling trail and mustang island paddling trail. Just google them and you can find maps of them with launch points and all the trail markers with the coords. I live in San Antonio too, but I am originally from corpus, if you ever need someone to split gas with you I am always looking for an excuse to hit the coast for some fishing.

As far as baits go, live shrimp always works well from the shore. When wading a good lure I like to use is a Paul brown corky or a Zara spook. With clear water I usually go with a mirror finish, when the water isn't so clear I go with a bone colored one.

Posted By: fishon2.wm

Re: Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/25/12 03:28 AM

Ok. Thanks for the tips. Are there a lot of pin fish on the flats? Back in florida some spots were impossible to fish with shrimp because the pin fish were so thick.

Posted By: Aggeek

Re: Good kayaking/wading fishing spots - 04/25/12 03:46 AM

Not in my experience, most of the time when I came across pinfish with live shrimp, it was usually scattered.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum