Texas Fishing Forum

fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP

Posted By: chased125

fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP - 04/16/12 02:20 AM

im going down to the coast i plan on doing some fishing but dont want to spend another 200 dollars on a new real, any tips on cleaning my real or anything special to do? i have a aubi garcia black max that i plan on using if that helps, should i even try it? i also have braided line to for fresh water, what should i do?

Posted By: KS374

Re: fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP - 04/16/12 02:28 AM

Everytime I go I just rinse it down with a garden hose and then dry it, tear it down and clean all the parts in light soap and water, dry it all and oil or grease where necessary and put it back together. Done this for years and my reels are 10/10 mechanically

Posted By: chased125

Re: fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP - 04/16/12 02:30 AM

thanks man

Posted By: Ox190

Re: fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP - 04/16/12 04:24 AM

I've heard of guys putting them in the shower when they got back to where they were staying and letting hot water run on them for 5-10 minutes.

Posted By: ditkarulz

Re: fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP - 04/16/12 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Ox190
I've heard of guys putting them in the shower when they got back to where they were staying and letting hot water run on them for 5-10 minutes.

DO NOT use hot water. It can melt the grease out of the reel. Mildly warm is ok but definitely not steaming hot.

Posted By: dicky

Re: fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP - 04/16/12 01:24 PM

i just rinse with fresh water from hose as soon as i get in. Let air dry. Then sray a little reel magic or wd 40 on it and wipe down. As long as you don't drop it in the salt water that should be it.

Posted By: tlh3842

Re: fresh watter reals in salt water? HELP - 04/16/12 06:34 PM

I just rinse them all with a water hose when I get home, all over reels and rods as well. Then every couple of trips re oil or lube them, all reels are still mechanically sound as before they were taken to the coast

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum