Texas Fishing Forum

New rod and spinning reel

Posted By: justin83

New rod and spinning reel - 12/13/10 03:47 PM

Hey everyone,
Im looking for a new rod and spinning reel and would like to spend under 200 for both together. The reel will mainly be used in freshwater.

Thanks for any advice,
Justin
Posted By: glock22brent

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/14/10 12:25 AM

confused
Posted By: FoldCatOne

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/14/10 03:33 AM

I'd pick up a used Shimano Stradic off of Ebay and match a nice rod to it. I'd get a Stradic 4000 or smaller.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/16/10 09:11 PM

justin, what will you be using it for? Catfish? Redfish? Bluegill? Boat fishing? Surf fishing?

Can't make much of a recommendation without knowing more of how you fish and what you are targeting...
Posted By: jagg

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/16/10 11:22 PM

For the Brine, All-Star Classic 7' M matched with a Pflueger President XT Saltwater in the 40 size. This is the spinning combo I use in the bays and on the flats and some of my bassin'.
Posted By: Razzorduck

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/17/10 04:13 PM

Cant go wrong with the shimanos!
Posted By: OldFrog

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/21/10 02:10 AM

Shimano and Castaway. Academy has marked down the "Blue" Castaway rods to $48. ( dont get the green ones...they suck)
Posted By: The Trout Scout

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/21/10 02:15 AM

The GLoomis/Shimano Combo I have used over the last 15 years has worked real well for me for putting supper on the table for the family and trophy's on the wall.

IMHO, the rod is the more valuable tool between the two.

coolio
Posted By: TheGoat

Re: New rod and spinning reel - 12/21/10 05:08 AM

If you're looking to mainly freshwater and inshore duties, I may have an option for your rod. I've got a gloomis PR842S(I think that's the model number) it's a 7ft , 1/4-1/2oz, ML action inshore rod for trout and redfish. I'll let you have it for $100. It's in fantastic condition, and I've barely fished it. If I have to ship, it'll be on your dime. Loomis rod for $100, can't beat that. PM if interested.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum