Texas Fishing Forum

lure question

Posted By: JCast89

lure question - 11/12/09 12:05 AM

ok i have never tried lures before and im kinda young so i dont know what kind to use, i wanna start using them, what do ya'll recomend for red fish and can you use lures when fishing from the bank or are they just mostly used when on a boat or wading?
Posted By: 3un

Re: lure question - 11/12/09 01:17 AM

you can use lures where ever you want to use them. Gulp Shrimp = the money bait. In my opinion atleast. But the key is to match what the fish are feeding on otherwise your jus wasting your time.

go with a silver and gold spoon. Bone or natural top water, and some soft plastics with jig heads and/or worm hooks (for a finess approach) and some D.O.A. shrimp.

oh and i am a true believer in scent sprays. Use them on everything except Gulp.

one of my favorites is D.O.A. in clear or glow sprayed with some shrimp scent with a slow retrieve giving it an occasional pop here and there. I've used this on jetties in the flats and on piers and i've always hooked into something.
Posted By: Islander05

Re: lure question - 11/12/09 02:24 AM

Everything 3un said!

In addition to fishing the Gulp and DOA's the traditional style, fish them under maulers as well. Also don't hesitate to try topwaters. Popular ones for reds are spooks jr's and Mann's Tide Waker.

What area of the coast are you fishing?

Good luck!
Posted By: Sparktime

Re: lure question - 11/12/09 09:09 PM

Gold spoons are one of the best for Reds. Johnson Sprite 1/4 ounce or 1/2ounce. Shrimptails and shadtails are good too. (TTF Trout and red killers)
Posted By: big red 13

Re: lure question - 11/19/09 01:21 AM

i use soft plastics for reds lizard
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: lure question - 11/19/09 01:57 AM

Topwater: she dog
Soft plastic: Sand eel
Weedless spoon in grass.

That'll pretty well catch every redfish in the bay.
Posted By: That Robbie Guy

Re: lure question - 11/19/09 06:04 PM

Starting out ... get you a good popping cork.
Cajun Thunder of Midcoast.

Tie up live shrimp underneath.
Tie you up a DOA, clear, underneath.
Tie you up some Gulp! underneath.

You will catch something.
Posted By: The Trout Scout

Re: lure question - 11/19/09 09:00 PM

Doesn't matter so much what color of soft plastic when you use a Rockport Rattler jig ( http://www.rockportrattler.com/ ) because going subsurface with the rattling sound attracts the fish, the light reflecting eyes on the jigs head give the fish a natural target and it's "FISH ON" !

Rattling around with sound subsurface in the game fishes natural habitat, ambush points and underwater enviroment with Rockport Rattler jigs is much more productive for putting up quantity of keepers on the stringer than rattling around on top of the water with corks or topwaters! Think about it - it's common sense applied to fishing.

5" soft plastics - in Plum/chart. - consistantly catches me the BIG 3: Trout, reds and flounder, while others around me are using live shrimp, croakers or piggies.

One of my favorite things to do this time of the year is ease up to the outer perimeter of some Winter Texans wade fishing using live shrimp and pick off the trout n' reds n' flounder right under there nose using the Rockport Rattler jigs.

I rarely, if ever, switch colors of soft plastic bait with the Rockport Rattler jig and catch all the trout, reds and flounder a man could want to clean.

coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum