Texas Fishing Forum

gaftops?

Posted By: bubba gump

gaftops? - 04/01/09 05:54 PM

anybody ever eat one? we caught a bunch of them sunday and my buddy said he has cooked them before. they were pretty decent sized. are they any good? we cleaned them, and they don't look too bad. but dang those things were slimy. my boat is filthy now!
Posted By: Minedude

Re: gaftops? - 04/01/09 05:56 PM

My coworker says they are good will get the info and post it later this evening!

Re: gaftops? - 04/01/09 05:59 PM

thanks, we cleaned a ton of them, bunch of them in the 7-10lb range
Posted By: Minedude

Re: gaftops? - 04/01/09 06:36 PM

I have a coworker who steaks them and grills them and use your personal preference for seasoning like a shark or make a good gumbo with them fully skinned and cut into thick nuggets. I am going to have to try them myself.
Posted By: salty jayhawk

Re: gaftops? - 04/01/09 06:38 PM

I have eaten them fried in Louisiana fish fry and they were fine. Similar to a freshwater channel cat in my opinion.
Posted By: Quacktastic

Re: gaftops? - 04/01/09 06:41 PM

Gaftops are really good eating...they fry up really nice.

They just slime everything in sight - that slime is a pain to get off the boat and your hands.

I've heard if you lick the slime you'll have hallucinations!! LOL!!

Re: gaftops? - 04/01/09 09:23 PM

i think we are gonna fry some and grill some. kind of curious to try em. i was wishing my boat didn't have carpet after this weekend. we had the slime everywhere.....I may have to throw my net away.
Posted By: Philpot

Re: gaftops? - 04/02/09 01:00 PM

Gafftops are plenty good on the plate. I've fried them, grilled them, put them in gumbo, and basically used them the same way I would a channel cat in fresh water. They have enough gorilla snot on them to grease a bulldozer, though.
Posted By: SAK

Re: gaftops? - 04/02/09 09:56 PM

Catfish slime is no problem. Just let it dry & it'll brush right off your carpet.
Posted By: Quacktastic

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 01:04 AM

quote=SAK]Catfish slime is no problem. Just let it dry & it'll brush right off your carpet.[/quote]

Good luck with that! Gaftop slime is like...well, kinda like baby batter if you know what I mean.
Posted By: LundThump

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 03:33 AM

i hate gaftops, they taste like they smell. and they do have a distinctive smell.
Posted By: Cane Pole

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 08:43 AM

Uverse - I guess you must have got ahold of a bad one.

I have caught many gaftops before and fried them just like I would freshwater fish and they taste great. They taste very similar to bluecat.

Allot of people cant get past the slime - when you catch them.
Posted By: Texas Fishin

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 09:31 AM

I've eaten gaftop all my life and they cook up just fine. I've eaten them almost anyway that you can cook a fish.
Posted By: cougar64

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 11:51 AM

Yep very good eating fish after you fillet them you will see some dark red meat in the fillets well cut that part out and it will taste lot better.
Posted By: fetch_up

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 12:52 PM

Good eatin' fish, nothing wrong with them at all. I generally dont keep'em cuz i dont like to clean them but they are good to eat.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 01:41 PM

Just watch out for the wormy ones....
Posted By: Mexicajun1

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 02:18 PM

Nice white clean lookin fillets once you cut the blood line out of them they can be cooked anyway you want. That slime sure makes them some nasty critters to handle though lol..... I hate when it gets all over the line and they wrap themselves up lol.

Rob
Posted By: cougar64

Re: gaftops? - 04/03/09 04:19 PM

Yeah but nothing wraps your line up like an eel

Re: gaftops? - 04/07/09 03:05 PM

I got to fry some of my gaftop up with my secret beer batter the other day. Pretty tasty. Now I just wonder why I threw so many of them back over the years. I won't be throwing them back any more. Every time we go to the coast, we always seem to catch them. I know now that they aren't "trash fish"
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: gaftops? - 04/07/09 06:53 PM

What I dont like is there all head not much meat. They are slimy.
Posted By: Redfish1975

Re: gaftops? - 04/08/09 09:17 PM

We to have eaten them all our lives....but we only keep them if we really get into them as for i wont mess with just one or two of them becasue of the slime.

But some days that seems to be all that you can catch and yes they are good eating nothing but a saltwater cat.

An old timer was watching me fish one day when i caught a eel. I was gonna throw him back and he said dont do that!

Cut the tail off the eel like about 4" to 6" and then place your hook right throug the back bone (easier said than done) and you have a gaftop catching machine. I used the same piece of eel for about a year. Just kept taking the hook off of the leader placing in a ziplock and freezing it over and over again.

I caught some really large ones this way. If you open up the belly on a big one it is normally full of baby eel.
Posted By: Undertow

Re: gaftops? - 04/08/09 11:08 PM

Do you like catfish? cuz thats what they are. I would prefer a nice redfish filet grilled on the halfshell with butter, but they work nicely for a fryin.

Re: gaftops? - 04/09/09 02:30 PM

we had gotten into a mess of them, four of us on my boat and we all had hook-ups at the same time. it was really easy to fill up my 150 quart cooler in the matter of an hour or so. but man, they made a mess of everything. we filled about 20 quart bags with fillets. good thing we did, my ole lady is catholic and it is lent right now. we have enough to cook for her whole family every friday. we will definately be keeping them from now on if get into a mess of them again
Posted By: jrbaylor

Re: gaftops? - 04/14/09 02:37 AM

never tried a gaftop (only because ive never caught one)but caught a really large hardhead once about 2 1/2 feet i guess and really thick n heavy. so i said what the hell lets give it a try. ive heard of people eating it. took it home, battered and fryed it up and it tasted like any other fryed fish really.
i wont bother with small ones but if i catch anouther biggun its coming home with me.
Posted By: CCRedFish

Re: gaftops? - 04/14/09 03:23 AM

I like the way they fight when you hook them but they taste like sh!?
Posted By: TOO

Re: gaftops? - 04/14/09 04:26 AM

If you're in a boat, you might want to try using a burlap sack with strong line weaved in and out around the top and used as a drawstring. We use the Bull line/Jet line flat weaved stuff for a draw string.
Hang it over the side, net the G'tops, unhook and drop G,top in the bag. When running to trailer the boat or done for the day, throw the bag on another Burlap bag on the deck or in the ice chest on top of the other burlap sack and you should be fairly slime free in the boat. G'tops will survive a 10-15 minute run on the deck if you keep the bag wet.
At the cleaning table the fish will be fairly free of slime, rubs off on the sack. Clean fish and throw away the bag.
Car wash or pressure washer will clean off the slime on the net, or let it dry and then remove the dried slime. We use the black coated nets.
Make sure it's a big strong heavy burlap bag, usually $1 used at the feed stores around here.
Hope this helps. G'tops are blast to catch.

Re: gaftops? - 04/15/09 04:32 AM

great idea about the burlap sacks. if i caught gaftops id keep a sack or two in the boat. are they more offshore type fish or what? i have a 17" jon boat so i dont venture out very far

Re: gaftops? - 04/15/09 04:30 PM

gaftops are usually close to the shore from what i have experienced. we caught ours drifting about 20 yards off the bank at san luis pass, they seem to eat any kind of bait we threw to them. easy to catch
Posted By: Mo

Re: gaftops? - 04/15/09 06:57 PM

I've caught gafftops miles from land in Breton sound. They
seem to love soft plastics .
My cajun guide told me learned from an old-timer , " don't
be too quick to move if you are catching gafftops ,they like the
same conditions as trout "
Mo

Re: gaftops? - 04/16/09 02:55 AM

Really jr? Are u positive it was a hardhead? Not that I've tasted one, but I've heard they taste awful!! 2 1/2 feet! Thats about the size of a good gaftop. Could it have been? Just wondering, since you did say you've never caught one..

Re: gaftops? - 04/16/09 03:25 AM

nah it didnt have that big ol fin plus it wasnt covered in slime. it was just a big azz hardhead. was catching nothin but hardheads that day and decided to try out that big one.

its not like its the best thing ever, but it just tasted like fried fish. try it sometime, you'd be surprised.

almost everyone says hardhead taste awful but when you ask if they tasted it, people always say "no, but i know someone who has" or " ive heard it was gross" i guess its like one of those urban myths or something. it just a fish.

Re: gaftops? - 04/17/09 12:29 AM

Sometimes they will school under menhaden... Just get your cast net out and catch the shad, then throw a couple of shad out and you'll have a ball. The first time I saw this happen, I was in shock. I had never seen catfish school like that. They were chasing the bait like a bunch of sandbass chasing a spoon. Every cast was a good 3-6 pound fish. We filled a boat box in about 30 minutes.. We had been striking out on the reds and specks, so it partially salvaged what had been a disappointing trip.

Re: gaftops? - 04/17/09 12:40 AM

I've also heard that, since reds love menhaden, they will sit below this phenomenon and eat the leftovers falling to the bottom. Of course, I didnt think about that at the time. So save one pole for bottom fishing. Just look for the diving brown pelicans then break out the burlap sacks! laugh

Re: gaftops? - 04/17/09 12:41 AM

I'm talkin about Gafftops not hardheads.. just wanted to clear that up
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum