Texas Fishing Forum

Offshore Kayak Trip!!!

Posted By: kayakjunkie23

Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/07/08 12:56 AM

Anyone like to fish offshore from a kayak let me know i want to plan a trip in july maybe sooner, fishing at the closest rig 4 miles off the south jetty in port aransas, tx. fish i will be targetting will be kings, tarpon, shark, cobia(ling), snapper, mahi. if interested let me know. must have own kayak, i have 12' kingfisher ocean going yak. going to be a blast!!!!
Posted By: TTguy

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/14/08 11:18 AM

Man I would love to take that trip. I just dont think I am in good enough shape to paddle the 4 miles.
Posted By: spiny norman

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/14/08 02:59 PM

I will be down there around July 13-19. Don't know if I have the gas to paddle it all the way out to the rigs and back. Kinda depend on conditions. Still like to go BTB around the jetties.
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/15/08 03:53 PM

That would be intense. Hope a storm doesnt blow in on ya. That would be trouble.
Posted By: BOSTON BOB

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/15/08 06:31 PM

I'd take my center console, but I get tired driving four miles (never-mind the paddling)!!!!! That sounds like extreme fishing.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/16/08 02:11 PM

Why not get a group together, hire a boat to run you offshore. Most bluewater fisherman will tell you 4 miles is
inshore, not offshore.
Why go 4 when you could go 40 ?
MO

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/16/08 02:57 PM

I second what Mo says - hire a boat that can carry your kayaks out there & base from it as a 'mother ship' like they do out of Baja. Too many things that can go wrong paddling even 4 miles off the coast, and if you're going to do it, may as well be 40 miles out fishing for wahoo!! smile

wow ... that would be intense fishing, wouldn't it?
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/16/08 04:46 PM

we paddled about 12 miles a week or so ago on flat water...so the distance isn't that big of deal...it would take about 2 hours to get out and 2 hours to get back...I don't think I am quite brave enough yet to go that far out....
Posted By: SeaNU21

Re: Offshore Kayak Trip!!! - 04/17/08 10:09 AM

kayakjunkie23,

I'm in if I can get down there. I've been looking for someone to head out on a rig trip with me. I try to make about 2 trips a month down that direction from SA. I just need to know what weekend because I work Tues-Sat so I will prob need time to request Sat off if your weekends run Sat-Sun. Shoot me a pm and we can try to plan something.

And to answer everyones questions, for me anyway, its about actually getting there on the kayak. Not knocking the guys that do, I guess its cool to take the kayaks behind the boat to get out there and catch fish, but you didn't actually use the kayak to get there. Why not just pull an inner tube out and fish from it? Lot cheaper than a kayak. Again, not knocking anyone, cause some people can't make the paddle(age\illness\etc) so for them to experience something like that, a boat ride out is what it takes, and there is no guarantee we would make it that far because conditions always change, but I have to try.

Time to go back and double check all the safety equipment.

Sean
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum