Texas Fishing Forum

Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength

Posted By: powerliftingtexas

Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength - 05/23/22 11:35 AM

Just as the title states. I have plenty of poles for fishing the local lakes. But instead of pulling the truck and boat to the local river or lake, I'm falling in love with jumping in my electric car and heading 2 hours to the coast on my Friday, Saturday, Sundays off. The problem is with fuel prices I can only take my car and must fish from the different banks and piers throughout the the gulf coast. (From Galveston to Matagorda.)

I want a rod that can cast out a distance being limited to the banks and also a rod that is strong and heavy enough to handle trout and red-fish.

This is the reel I ordered to take with me to the coast. Any suggestions on a strong and good casting distance rod to match it?

Reel:

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-0001-4...&hvtargid=pla-491061860627&psc=1
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength - 05/23/22 12:28 PM

This doesn't really address what you're asking, but have you considered getting a kayak that you can mount on a roof rack on your car? Zero fuel consumption involved with kayaking, and you can do it in your local lakes or in saltwater.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength - 05/23/22 03:22 PM

kayak is a good idea. if i was trying for one rod to do a little of everything, i'd try a falcon coastal or buco in 7'-6" med fast. good casting rod with enough back bone to do corks and sensitive enough for jigheads and plastics. not too bad for croaker either. JMO.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength - 05/23/22 11:51 PM

I use a MH 6’6” Ugly Stik (6 to 20 pound) with a 6500 ABU reel for almost all of my fishing from the shore. It works great for trout and redfish. I did get spooled once on 100 pound bull shark lol. If I am after bigger fish, I jump up to a Muskie rod (6’3” 15-45 pound) with an Abu 7000i reel. I have landed a 150 pound spinner shark with this rig. If you want to throw big weights and spoon go with a heavy rod.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength - 05/24/22 06:28 PM

I try to get stuff I can use fresh and salt as well.. Currently using a st croix avid inshore 7’ medium power bait caster for bass, snook, tarpon, and redfish from kayak. Have it paired with a Shimano curado 300 ej. Not too long a rod that I can still use on offshore fishing on party boats as well.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength - 05/24/22 06:32 PM

I use nothing but Duckett's Salt Series FWIW - might try those out
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Best Rod For (Salt-Water) Bait casting - Distance and Strength - 05/24/22 11:57 PM

Sounds like you already have a rod.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum