Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak for dropping baits? Cheap or expensive

Posted By: Jestew01

Kayak for dropping baits? Cheap or expensive - 03/31/22 12:00 AM

I have two kayaks and they’re about as far apart as far as quality as you can get. My cheap one is a Webber angler ($300) 10’ long and my nice one is a Vibe Shearwater 125. I’ve never taken the vibe to the coast cause I have t been since I got it but I have taken the cheap one and used it to drop shark baits a couple of times. I’ve never flipped the cheap one in the surf but I have flooded it just about every time. My question is if y’all think there’s an advantage to one or the other for dropping baits and busting through the surf. I honestly think the extra weight, width, and lack of mobility from the Vibe would make it more difficult, however I don’t know if it’s worth it to bring a second kayak just for that purpose. Any input is appreciated
Posted By: Paper mouth

Re: Kayak for dropping baits? Cheap or expensive - 03/31/22 12:45 AM

Easier to roll the long heavy slow one on the way back in if a breaker catches and carries the back end it’s over!
Posted By: Roro lures

Re: Kayak for dropping baits? Cheap or expensive - 03/31/22 04:39 AM

I like the vibe. Good yak
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Kayak for dropping baits? Cheap or expensive - 03/31/22 09:34 PM

For dropping shark baits out past the surf, you want a simple stripped down kayak. I would even remove the bungee cord from the back storage area. One less thing for the shark hooks/bait to get tangled up in.

What do you mean the kayak comes back flooded? If the sit on top kayak fills with water when coming back through the surf because the scupper holes won't drain it fast enough - that condition would be fine. I would rather come back in a flooded kayak than one with an elevated seat that felt tippy coming back in.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Kayak for dropping baits? Cheap or expensive - 04/14/22 10:31 PM

Find yourself an old Ocean Kayak Malibu. That was always my favorite yak for dropping baits. The hull design made it easier to ride the waves back in without flipping.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum