Texas Fishing Forum

Crystal Beach Vibrio Death....

Posted By: V-Bottom

Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/16/21 11:24 PM

A 57 y/o Katy man has died from the flesh eating bacteria while at Crystal Beach / Bolivar Penn. Daniel Murphy "quickly" passed away after contracting the bacteria that's in the water on July 4th weekend. A friend of his said it was Thursday after the 4th he passed away. It was as early as Wednesday that week that his leg was amputated .

It's that of year folks, when the weather really heats up and this stuff is born. Even if a person survives, the terrible bacteria EATS up your body. I don't have any pics for you but Google is your friend here. IF you are your friends enter the water WITH OPEN SORES OR WOUNDS....your lives are at risk. The bacteria is called Vibrio Vulnificus. The Health Dept. says they usually test the waters once a week. I'm sure these areas that are tested Positive are posted. Can't say what Link it's on.

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/17/21 02:40 AM

I would like to throw this out there.......Beware of eating RAW OYSTERS. Hot sauce,lemon juice, or alcoholic drinks will not kill this bacteria......Eat fully cooked.
Last May a fellow died from this stuff also.....while in the waters at Crystal Beach.

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/17/21 08:08 PM

bump
Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/18/21 12:09 AM

Isn't it less of an issue in the turbulent surf?

Heres a link for a different bacteria monitored

https://cgis.glo.texas.gov/Beachwatch/#loc=93
Posted By: lost again

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/18/21 12:59 AM

That’s what I was wondering does it only exist in the bays or can you get it out in the surf.

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/18/21 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by lost again
That’s what I was wondering does it only exist in the bays or can you get it out in the surf.

You can get it most anywhere. Freshwater and brackish,
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/22/21 01:44 PM

I adjusted to eating only pasteurized raw oysters (usually Blue Point) due to this a few years ago, after that woman died in New Orleans after eating a few oysters right off the boat. Now I'm beginning to wonder if even that is safe? Maybe fried or Rokefeller only from now on.

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/22/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
I adjusted to eating only pasteurized raw oysters (usually Blue Point) due to this a few years ago, after that woman died in New Orleans after eating a few oysters right off the boat. Now I'm beginning to wonder if even that is safe? Maybe fried or Rokefeller only from now on.

thumb clap
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/22/21 10:22 PM

Flesh-eating bacteria is serious. The biggest mistake most people make is waiting to get treatment. Even a very small cut or puncture can infect you. If you get localized swelling that is hot to the touch, high levels of pain beyond normal levels, changes in skin color, fever, dizziness, or nausea, go to the hospital immediately. The bacteria is very treatable if you get treatment early. Waiting overnight to get treatment can be deadly.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/23/21 06:04 PM

Raw oysters barf
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/23/21 11:59 PM

Did he get this from eating or just being in the water?

Re: Crystal Beach Vibrio Death.... - 07/24/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by horton5303
Did he get this from eating or just being in the water?

Being IN the water w/ open wounds....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum