Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing in the Rain

Posted By: NewtotheSport

Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 05:33 PM

Hey guys,

I really wanted to fish this weekend and it seems like there’ll be some rain, but not heavy rain...

Have any of y’all caught fish while it was raining? Do you think fish care that it rains? Should I still get on down to the coast to fish on Saturday? :’)
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 06:15 PM

Some of my best days were rain days.
Lightning? I’m gone.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Lightning? I’m gone.

^^THIS^^
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 06:49 PM

you shouldn't have much competition, all to yourself. i've never done much good in the rain, but i usually head for cover at the first sign.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 07:43 PM

Fish don't like to get wet, so they bite the hook hoping to go to a dry ice chest. Pat is right, LIGHTNING is a different story and we have had a lot lately in central Texas. Be smart and good luck.

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 09:02 PM

This was an hours work on a low sky, drizzly high 40's day. Lavaca river, mid January.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NewtotheSport

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 10:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback y’all! I’ll be surf fishing off the beach I think... no boat available for me. So you’ve convinced me I’ll run out there and give it a go as long as there’s no lightning!

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 04/30/21 11:41 PM

Surf is all about the wind. Flat green surf can be a big trout killing.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 05/01/21 02:36 AM

Lightning? I’m gone.

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: NonsequiturI

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 05/01/21 06:22 AM

I've caught LOTS when it was raining....more than likely, because we stuck it out through rain ONLY....I don't think fish care, I'm sure it's rained while they were growing up, they are probably used to it by now.....The question you've got to ask yourself is, " Do I really want to be on a lake, standing up in a boat with a graphite rod in my hand?"
Posted By: T- Gil

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 05/01/21 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by smooth move
you shouldn't have much competition, all to yourself.

I agree with this! Less hooks in the water when it is raining. Just watch for lightning.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 05/01/21 06:07 PM

I fish in the rain (and have had some stellar trips). I fish in the cold. But I don't do cold and rain together.

A little something I learned the hard way: If you can hear thunder (even faintly) you're close enough to get nailed by lightning. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I figure there're smarter things one can do than standing outside in a thunderstorm waving a 9' graphite lightning rod at the sky..............
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 05/04/21 10:16 PM

Safety first both with lightening and waves. However, I have caught lots of fish in the rain.
Posted By: 22fisherman

Re: Fishing in the Rain - 05/10/21 12:37 PM

Lightning? I’m gone.

YES!
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum