Texas Fishing Forum

Galveston

Posted By: jig master

Galveston - 04/19/21 01:09 PM

Looking for a place to stay this coming Sunday night in Galveston td to park a truck and boat 21 ft
Also to be close by to launch and get bait. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Galveston - 04/19/21 02:25 PM

might try Tx City and launch at the dyke. 3 or 4 motels on 146 with ample parking.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Galveston - 04/19/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by smooth move
might try Tx City and launch at the Dike. 3 or 4 motels on 146 with ample parking.

x2 Just do not leave anything in your boat , the bed of your trk , and take valuables in your room.
Posted By: FishDFly

Re: Galveston - 04/19/21 09:43 PM

Do a search for motels near; Galveston Yacht Basin
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Galveston - 04/19/21 10:07 PM

can the public launch at the Yacht basin?

Re: Galveston - 04/20/21 12:51 AM

yes.

Re: Galveston - 04/20/21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by FishDFly
Do a search for motels near; Galveston Yacht Basin

Does yacht basin have all the bait I will need ? Interesting yacht basin actually puts you right in the channel close to a wooden bridge that we could actually check for trout on our way out to the jettis. It’s looking like Texas city after making calls yesterday is the best place to stay price and all so far. I may check out some others today and make my decision.

Re: Galveston - 04/20/21 02:00 PM

Yacht Basin should have all the bait you need.

Motels in TC have a checkered past on boats be vandalized.

I would call the Yacht Basin and ask them for "safe" places in Galveston to stay. Your truck and trailer are safer at the Basin when you are gone.

With the tide and wind it can get very choppy leaving the Dike going to the Jetties and you burn more gas versus leaving the Basin. Deep draft ships passing the end of the Dike can make launching fun.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Galveston - 04/21/21 11:23 PM

I live next to TC and I have not heard of any "boat vandalism" lately and/or trks attached to boats. If anyone leaves valuables in a boat, that's on the owner. Should know better I'd say.

Re: Galveston - 04/22/21 02:21 AM

Thanks for all the feed back. We booked a room for at the harbor inn pier 21 really cheap and we are putting in at the yacht basin the day of arrival for 40 bucks. Some will say that’s high but that includes a boat slip with a cleaning table and leaving the trailer there with security while we run around to the hotel and eat etc also purchase our bait there. They did say no croaker right now they are not liking the size but that’s ok. Looking at the tide and the wind direction it looks really good both days to actually fish the bay any pointers on fishing in the bay or areas would be helpful. JS
Sunday looks great for a jetty trip but Monday with close to 3 ft swells I think I will probably keep my 21 foot center console in the Bay Area maybe a early ride to the jettis but more fishing in the bay as the conditions show the current to be great in the bay Monday. Again thanks for all the advise this is actually my first trip on my own in my new boat as I’ve been with a guide once.
Posted By: atx_ben

Re: Galveston - 04/22/21 06:22 PM

Excited for you smile Go slay them!

Also $40 for parking and a slip sounds pretty reasonable tbh. I'd heard $1/ft and thought that was a bit high, but you'll save a ton of gas running to the jetties if you launch there.

Re: Galveston - 04/22/21 09:45 PM

If the fishing is poor, you can motor around and look at the boats in the marina, that can be fun on a Sunday morning to see how the rich live.

Re: Galveston - 04/23/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by FishDFly
If the fishing is poor, you can motor around and look at the boats in the marina, that can be fun on a Sunday morning to see how the rich live.

Oh yeah. !!! Honestly I’m going to be slaying on the jetty’s I’m sure of it. Thanks.

Re: Galveston - 04/23/21 11:16 AM

From Friday's Galveston paper.

While Thursday was another blowout and there was no current news to report on
the fishing scene, let’s take this opportunity to address one of the more common
complaints from readers. This has to do with courtesy on the water.

Re: Galveston - 04/26/21 09:42 PM

The jetty’s was horrible. I think the rain before we went messed it up not sure. We did manage a few in the west bay.

Re: Galveston - 04/26/21 09:59 PM

Galveston fishing can really be tough. When the wind blows, it does not take long for the water to be dirty.

Re: Galveston - 04/27/21 11:07 AM

If you wonder what the fishing is like in Galveston try here: https://www.galvnews.com/sports/fishing_report/
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Galveston - 05/04/21 04:22 PM

FishDFly, thanks for this link.. we are heading down in June for 14 days. Crabs and surf fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum