Texas Fishing Forum

What Reel Would You Take?

Posted By: NewtotheSport

What Reel Would You Take? - 02/24/21 06:58 PM

Hey guys, just curious what y'all would prefer.

I have the option of a Spinfisher VI for ~$116, Daiwa BG for ~$88, Daiwa Fuego LT for ~$80, or a Shimano Nasci for $100.

I don't typically put my reels through a ton of abuse, this would mostly be for inshore fishing and perhaps a little bit of surf fishing when the conditions are calm, but I'm curious what y'all would pick and why.

On one hand, I hear a lot of people talking about how smooth a reel is, but I feel like I'd value durability more than that. A smooth drag I can see being functionally important, but I don't quite see a huge benefit in something being smooth. On that note, I'm kinda leaning towards spending a little more money for the Spinfisher, but I feel like all these reels are great reels.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: What Reel Would You Take? - 02/24/21 07:01 PM

Spinfisher VI
Posted By: smooth move

Re: What Reel Would You Take? - 02/24/21 10:02 PM

Spinfisher VI
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: What Reel Would You Take? - 02/25/21 03:13 PM

I own three spinfisher VI 2500 and three 3500. I like the 2500 for wading. It is light and can handle big fish. I use the 3500 for popping corks and bait fishing. 3500 is a beast and can handle any red or trout. I have even tangled with a few big Jacks with zero issues. I fish often and they rarely if ever get dunked, but often gets heavy spray. They handle saltwater well. I re-lube about every 6 months. If ind the 2500 easier to work on. Plenty of youtube videos showing you how to clean the reels. Good luck!
Posted By: atx_ben

Re: What Reel Would You Take? - 02/25/21 04:25 PM

Yeah go with Penn. Easier to work on generally, and easy to find parts. You can also find aftermarket stuff for them, too (handles, upgraded drag washers, etc.) if you're into modding your great. Plus I think the Spinfishers are generally in the $250-$350 range, so you're getting a pretty good deal if the reel's in decent shape.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: What Reel Would You Take? - 02/26/21 09:43 AM

sorry but I'll take a Diawa BG anyday. They're built like tanks and are sealed and they're way inexpensive. Best bang for the buck in the spinning market. I caught two monster yellowfin tuna back to back with my BG6500 and it handled extremely well and still functions like new 3 years later.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum