Texas Fishing Forum

Best Live Bait For Speckled Trout - Shrimp Rig!

Posted By: lukedh94

Best Live Bait For Speckled Trout - Shrimp Rig! - 02/19/21 09:26 PM

Hey guys!

We went down to South Carolina to do a little saltwater fishing. We found our favorite/best saltwater bait - live shrimp and got lucky enough to get hooked into some Speckled Trout. We go over our rigs, tactics and a whole lot more - check it out!

Posted By: smooth move

Re: Best Live Bait For Speckled Trout - Shrimp Rig! - 02/19/21 10:42 PM

we were in Tarpon Springs Fl about 18 yrs ago in our boat with Tx numbers. got some snooty looks at the county ramp. wife was fishing a popping cork with some piggies i caught in a cast net.. i was chunkin plastic. well, she whipped me pretty good with that cork. a few boats eased up fairly close to take a peek. at the ramp we were approached by a couple guys that wanted to know what that cork was. they had never heard of popping corks. now when we're over there all kinds of folks a using them.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Best Live Bait For Speckled Trout - Shrimp Rig! - 02/20/21 03:24 PM

Didn't watch the video, but my opinion on all-time best live bait for specks would be croaker.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Best Live Bait For Speckled Trout - Shrimp Rig! - 02/28/21 02:38 AM

thumb
Posted By: atx_ben

Re: Best Live Bait For Speckled Trout - Shrimp Rig! - 03/01/21 09:20 PM

> at the ramp we were approached by a couple guys that wanted to know what that cork was

This is FUNNY. This is the only way I ever learned how to fish for specks, tbh... To the point that I discovered free-lining live bait (mullet, piggies, croaker) and thought I was an innovator in high school smile This was mostly because I didn't know anyone else who fished like I did.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Best Live Bait For Speckled Trout - Shrimp Rig! - 03/02/21 12:59 AM

My go-to bait is live shrimp in early May down here in G-town. As the weather gets warmer the trout usually change their diet to fin fish but still munch on the shrimp. When it comes to throwing piggies...get some scissors and cut the dorsal fin down about 1/2. This causes the fish to swim really erratic thus attracts the trout.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum