Texas Fishing Forum

Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass

Posted By: Synstars

Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 12:45 AM

My 13 yr old wants to go fishing in the next few days while I’m off and was considering either of the two places. We will not be wading and have surf rods and freshwater rods. Where would we most likely be productive for fish? Never fished either spots and the ability to drive the truck on the beach would be ideal.

Bait using for surf rods squid and fish bites, maybe live shrimp.

Freshwater tackle I have mainly spinners soft plastics and some cranks. Mainly bass fish and that’s my ideal lures.

Thanks for the help guys.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 11:32 AM

There are a few access points on Christmas Bay but you'll have to walk a little. There are lots of fish to be had. Follets Beach area had a few bull reds on it last week. Spanish sardines were the ticket,

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 02:43 PM

Thanks. The kiddo, dog, and I are at the beach right now behind Xmas bay. Caught some gafftops and got bored with them so we chopped them up and trying those as bait lol!

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 02:44 PM

[Linked Image]
Smallest of all used as sacrificial bait lol

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 02:48 PM

That my friend is a hardhead. Chop off the fins and let him swim in the surf. Sharks will eat him.

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 04:54 PM

Oh well hardhead it is. Not much luck here today. Others on the beach are saying the water isn’t really moving. Assuming the tide is just sitting. Anywho. Figured out what y’all mean by first bar and second bar ^.^

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 04:57 PM

Try to catch some mullet or croaker and throw the off the 2nd bar.

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 05:06 PM

Shrimp at the first bar for them? Maybe a 2/0 circle? Should I just use our 7ft freshwater rods for that?

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 05:16 PM

Dead shrimp on a perch hook will work in between the 1st and 2nd bars.

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 05:47 PM

So like a small bait hook? Sorry total surf noob. Watched videos and such but seems they are targeting larger game and we wanna get there too but ya know gotta start somewhere lol.

Bought a few of the cheap Walmart drop rigs and figured maybe I should try to make my own that are somewhat lighter line like 30 mono? Thoughts?

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 05:50 PM

Yes. Fish like you're trying to catch perch and get some croaker or whiting. Then use them live if they are small enough cut them if they are big. Those leaders suck, Just try a slip weight and put the hook at the end chunk it off the 2nd bar and see what you get. Remember to keep it simple at first because you can over complicate things and end up with a garage full of [censored] you don't use. roflmao
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/17/20 06:27 PM

try a gold spoon in the surf if you want to keep it simple. casts good and one of the best and most overlooked lures.

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/18/20 07:37 PM

Well just got some bait hooks and grabbed a could larger egg sinkers to Caroline rig it.

Thanks for saving me headache and money. I’ll buy ya a beer or some bait cheers

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/18/20 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by smooth move
try a gold spoon in the surf if you want to keep it simple. casts good and one of the best and most overlooked lures.

Actually grabbed one for myself a 1/2oz but thinking should have gone smaller. Suggestion on spoons?
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/18/20 07:43 PM

1/2 oz in the surf is what i use. just about any brand. some days silver, some days gold.

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/18/20 07:47 PM

go with a 2 1/2 inch johnson sprite spoon in the surf. watch out for the spanish macks though, they usually clean me out in the surf.

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/18/20 08:15 PM

You still down there fishing? I'm headed to Sylvan Beach in La Porte this afternoon.

Re: Advice for Xmas bay or San Luis pass - 06/20/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
You still down there fishing? I'm headed to Sylvan Beach in La Porte this afternoon.

Late reply but nah we did a half day and headed back. The fam and I should hopefully be heading back out in two weeks or so after we move into the new house. Buying a house sucks 😂
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum