Texas Fishing Forum

Reds at Lake Houston dam

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/22/20 12:02 AM

We were catching bull reds pretty steadily at the alternate discharge for lake houston. No one else around us was catching them for whatever reason. We were using finess gear for bass when we started catching them so the line on my spool is QUITE tight. Been catching them for 2 days. Fun stuff

Attached picture 123_1(63).jpeg
Attached picture 123_1(59).jpeg
Attached picture 123_1(57).jpeg
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/22/20 02:24 PM

pretty cool. i've heard of sharks up there and saw a flounder caught there in the 70's, but that's the first reds for me.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/22/20 09:28 PM

Do ya need a Saltwater fishing lic. to fish there since your catching Reds?
Posted By: RangerRong

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/22/20 10:27 PM

very nice guys
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/23/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom

If your catching and retaining the fish yes. I’m surprised no one is catching Snook up there. My Pops and I used to do a bunch of Crappie fishing around that area.

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/23/20 11:40 PM

I have both just in case since its close to the bay and has tons of saltwater fish
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/24/20 03:47 PM

Good pics and looks like there is work being done to the dam!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/25/20 12:14 AM

Lake Houston alternate discharge? Are you talking about the San Jacinto river that dumps into Trinity bay? Not doubting you but I have never heard of it.
Posted By: SirDukeOfLor

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/25/20 09:02 AM

This should not be a surprise, we use to catch Red fish, under the I-10 bridge where it crosses the San Jacinto River, back in the 80-90's.
This is less than 20 miles from the dam.

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/25/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Lake Houston alternate discharge? Are you talking about the San Jacinto river that dumps into Trinity bay? Not doubting you but I have never heard of it.

It feeds right next to the normal flow. They use it to work on the dam

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/25/20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by SirDukeOfLor
This should not be a surprise, we use to catch Red fish, under the I-10 bridge where it crosses the San Jacinto River, back in the 80-90's.
This is less than 20 miles from the dam.

The giants were just so thick at the discharge. Very fun
Posted By: SirDukeOfLor

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/26/20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bayou Burner
Originally Posted by V-Bottom

If your catching and retaining the fish yes. I’m surprised no one is catching Snook up there. My Pops and I used to do a bunch of Crappie fishing around that area.

You only need a saltwater license if fishing in what is defined as salt water.
The boundary for decades has been I-10 in that area, south of I-10 in that area is salt, north is considered freshwater.

All public waters east and south of the following boundary are considered salt water:
beginning at the International Toll Bridge in Brownsville, northward along U.S. Hwy. 77 to the junction of Paredes Lines Road (FM Road 1847) in Brownsville, thence
northward along FM Road 1847 to the junction of FM Road 106 east of Rio Hondo, thence
westward along FM Road 106 to the junction of FM Road 508 in Rio Hondo, thence
northward along FM Road 508 to the junction of FM Road 1420, thence
northward along FM Road 1420 to the junction of State Hwy. 186 east of Raymondville, thence
westward along State Hwy. 186 to the junction of U.S. Hwy. 77 near Raymondville, thence
northward along U.S. Hwy. 77 to the junction of the Aransas River south of Woodsboro, thence
eastward along the south shore of the Aransas River to the Junction of the Aransas River Road at the Bonnie View boat ramp, thence
northward along the Aransas River Road to the junction of FM Road 2678 to the junction of FM Road 774 in Refugio, thence
eastward along FM Road 774 to the junction of State Hwy. 35 south of Tivoli, thence
northward along State Hwy. 35 to the junction of State Hwy. 185 between Bloomington and Seadrift, thence
northwestward along State Hwy. 185 to the junction of FM Road 616 in Bloomington, thence
northeastward along FM Road 616 to the junction of State Hwy. 35 east of Blessing, thence
southward along State Hwy. 35 to the junction of FM Road 521 north of Palacios, thence
northeastward along FM Road 521 to the junction of State Hwy. 36 south of Brazoria, thence
southward along State Hwy. 36 to the junction of FM Road 2004, thence
northward along FM Road 2004 to the junction of Interstate Hwy. 45 between Dickinson and La Marque, thence
northwestward along Interstate Hwy. 45 to the junction of Interstate Hwy. 610 in Houston, thence
east and northward along Interstate Hwy. 610 to the junction of Interstate Hwy. 10 in Houston, thence
eastward along Interstate Hwy. 10 to the junction of State Hwy. 73 in Winnie, thence

eastward along State Hwy. 73 to the junction of U.S. Hwy. 287 in Port Arthur, thence
northwestward along U.S. Hwy. 287 to the junction of Interstate Hwy. 10 in Beaumont, thence
eastward along Interstate Hwy. 10 to the Louisiana State Line.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/27/20 06:51 AM

For many years reds have been caught below the Lake Houston dam. During the summer when dry conditions result in lower fresh water discharges the odds go up.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/27/20 10:22 PM

I've been catching reds all over the San Jac for years. Used to smash them right at highway 90 with 4 wheelers riding all around the shoreline
Posted By: undercover

Re: Reds at Lake Houston dam - 03/28/20 09:41 PM

Nice Reds. No one has run you out? Looks like u are inside the restricted area or at least close to it. Some big bass there too
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum