Texas Fishing Forum

Port A fishing report...Pics included

Posted By: John Peebles

Port A fishing report...Pics included - 03/10/20 04:30 AM

Hired a guide Sunday to chase some redfish with my son in Port A. First thing he said Sunday morning was "do you want to catch some fish or chase reds" Since my son was with me I said catch fish. Apparently there is a major sheep head run going on right now. We pulled up on a old well head and caught 20-30 in about an hour and kept our limit. The rest of the time we chased reds. On the last stop of the day we found a school of rats with a couple of keepers mixed in. Later at the cleaning station we saw all the other guides coming in. No one else had any reds, and only a couple had 1 or 2 specs, however all had limits of sheep head. A little dissapointing but I guess we'll be having a sheep head fry.
Posted By: parttime

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/10/20 11:22 AM

I'd be happy with that, sheepheads are very tasty!
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/10/20 11:53 AM

Great information. Thanks for the report.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/10/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by parttime
I'd be happy with that, sheepheads are very tasty!

BINGO!! thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/13/20 04:09 AM

The trip was a success with your son fishing with you. Catching fish was icing on the cake! Lifetime Memories made. Awesome post and a good decision to catch some Sheep Head! hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/13/20 02:06 PM

Nice post. Glad you and your son got onto some fish. Memories made forever. woot
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/14/20 02:45 PM

Sheepers make great table fare-IMO, better tasting than Reds. They’re spawning right now as I type.
Posted By: GHSTgoesBOO

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/14/20 07:16 PM

Tasty Sheepers
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/16/20 12:34 AM

yes, spring break time is also the time the sheep-head are running. Folks will be lined up at the Fina docs and around the jetties pulling them in.
They are very good to eat, a little slimy to clean. Not sure how old your son is but if younger, catching is always better than fishing!

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/16/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
The trip was a success with your son fishing with you. Catching fish was icing on the cake! Lifetime Memories made. Awesome post and a good decision to catch some Sheep Head! hooked

It's been a while since I caught a sheep head, I never kept them because I always heard they were very boney, but they did put up a good fight. Most of them weighed between 3-4 lbs. My son took dad to school, catching the most and the biggest sheep head and redfish. All fish were caught on live shrimp.
When we got back home I noticed him watching a bunch of fishing videos and he was asking a lot of questions about fishing with an open faced reel. We're heading to Cabellas on Tuesday to upgrade his current setup. I think he's hooked!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture fish2.jpg
Attached picture fish.jpg
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Port A fishing report - 03/17/20 08:24 AM

A day on the boat with my son sounds very good to me. He is in San Diego working and has no time for Dad! Doing what I taught him Working!
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Port A fishing report - 04/02/20 08:17 PM

Emerald Legasi’s restaurant sells Sheepshead for $38 / plate..... Many winter Texans who stay at our place would trade Sheepshead for any other fish in the bays. Tim

Re: Port A fishing report - 04/07/20 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
Emerald Legasi’s restaurant sells Sheepshead for $38 / plate..... Many winter Texans who stay at our place would trade Sheepshead for any other fish in the bays. Tim

May I ask you how it is prepared?
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Port A fishing report - 04/15/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by John Peebles
Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing

May I ask you how it is prepared?

Baked or grilled with some sort of a rich sauce on top at Emerald’s restaurant. My winter Texans just pan fry with butter.
Posted By: eyeball

Re: Port A fishing report - 04/27/20 04:11 AM

Fillet, skin off, slice, roll in cornmeal, fry. Give the reds to "friends". Schedule with that guide again. Hit Las Vegas while your luck holds.
Posted By: Jmit74

Re: Port A fishing report - 04/30/20 07:04 PM

Can you share the guide's info?

Re: Port A fishing report - 05/02/20 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jmit74
Can you share the guide's info?

Guides name is Charlie Barrett 361-946-5290, my cousin has used him several times and he has always put him on the fish. Been out with a few freshwater guides. The only guide I've fished with that worked harder and longer was Charlie Harlison down on Falcon. This guy is not cheap, but he is a true pro, and has a very nice rig. My cousin has never failed to limit out with him. Very professional.

Re: Port A fishing report - 05/18/20 04:46 AM

Finally got a chance to sit down with a few family members and enjoy the convict fish. We fried some of it and blackend some. I thought it was really good, nice flakey white meat. My wife liked the smaller ones because she thought the thicker pieces were too firm. Still have enough for one more meal so I may just slice some thinner pieces for her.
I'm a freshwater guy so I would still rate black bass and crappie above the sheepers. As far as saltwater fish, they were second only to flounder IMO.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum