Texas Fishing Forum

New to Saltwater Fishing

Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

New to Saltwater Fishing - 02/29/20 04:20 PM

I just moved to the Victoria area and I’m trying to get in to bay fishing. I don’t have a boat so I’m kinda limited
On places to go. I was just wondering if any one had any experience or tips for catching reds and trout around port lavaca, POC, Sea Drift, Powderhorn or any other places in the area. I’m new to salt water fishing but I have all the gear needed.

I’ve had some success around magnolia beach on black drum and small trout but that’s about it so far.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 02/29/20 06:07 PM

I live in Seadrift.
You're pretty limited if you don't have a boat, your decent wade opportunities are going to be between Indianola and Port O' Connor, decent fishing there.
I'd take you around, but neck deep in getting our house finished, hopefully by May, check back.

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 02/29/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
I live in Seadrift.
You're pretty limited if you don't have a boat, your decent wade opportunities are going to be between Indianola and Port O' Connor, decent fishing there.
I'd take you around, but neck deep in getting our house finished, hopefully by May, check back.

Okay will do! Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 02/29/20 08:07 PM

We started with this
[Linked Image]

And got it to here, just need to finish the inside, floors and trim and we can turn the page on this money pit salt mine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 02/29/20 08:56 PM

nice job Pat!
Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 02/29/20 09:52 PM

Wow that looks like a legit fish camp house! Great work!
Posted By: Dean Coleman

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 03/22/20 11:36 PM

Nice work Mr. Goff!
Posted By: Jmandel1218

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 04/08/20 04:51 PM

You can pick up a kayak reasonably cheap. Just get out there and look for sand pockets, grass lines, bait is key, slicks and transitions are great fishing typically. I fish out of corpus- packery flats, boat hole and deadmans are pretty good kayak spots. close and easily accessible. If you are interested in fishing from the boat I usually have an empty seat and fish once a week down south. Done wading until croaker season but we are picking up some solid fish on shrimp under a cork and occasionally some early morning top water action.
Posted By: Underfishin

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 05/05/20 10:13 PM

Wow, that is a massive home improvement! Well done sir.
Posted By: fishesintrees

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 05/06/20 03:00 PM

If your main interest is catching fish, get a kayak. Love my boat, but if I had to catch fish, I'd be in my 'yak.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing - 05/07/20 12:13 PM

Indianola has some great trout and even flounder.. if I remember right.. off those oyster shell shores.

If you get a boat, make sure you work with it and get used to it before venturing out those jetties.. I hate the jetties there.. heh... very strong currents

R
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum