Texas Fishing Forum

School me on sheepshead

Posted By: EightandChange

School me on sheepshead - 12/09/19 12:53 AM

I've caught a few by accident over the years but, I'd love to target them. When is the "run" and where should I go to have a chance at catching a few?
Posted By: karstopo

Re: School me on sheepshead - 12/09/19 01:15 AM

Gosh, undersized and smaller keepers tend to be all over the oyster reefs around Freeport (and likely anyplace else) from now into the spring. Find some rip rap along the intracoastal waterway, toss some shrimp on small hooks and catch a bunch of better ones. Any hard structure, especially where’s there’s a little deeper water nearby ought to be prime.
Posted By: Sgrem

Re: School me on sheepshead - 12/09/19 03:45 AM

Late March / April / May is their spawn. Find some heavy structure near a chanel like jetties.

May /June / July get back in the residential canals. Use a flat shovel to scrape some barnacles off bulk heads and pilings.

Use half a shrimp on a bottom dropper rig or under a cork.

Attached picture 7256.jpeg
Attached picture 7258.jpeg
Posted By: smooth move

Re: School me on sheepshead - 12/09/19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sgrem
Late March / April / May is their spawn. Find some heavy structure near a chanel like jetties.

May /June / July get back in the residential canals. Use a flat shovel to scrape some barnacles off bulk heads and pilings.

Holy Cow! i'd say you know how to catch sheepies. i'll take that advice. litlle hard to clean, but as good of a eating fish as any.
Posted By: ST1300

Re: School me on sheepshead - 12/10/19 11:02 PM

Shrimp, Crab, Hermit Crabs, Oysters in mesh bag are all baits that will work. A very simple rig of 1/2 to 1 oz jig head with 1/0 to 2/0 size hook dropped to bottom and very slowly brought back up near any type of vertical structure is great way to find them. You will also get Black Drum and Croakers depending on bait of choice.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: School me on sheepshead - 12/14/19 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sgrem

Agree with this. I've been catching them on the tip of the jetties the last 3 weeks. Last week, I was able to locate the bigger ones about 1/3 of the PortA jetties in. So, it seems they're moving in slowly, but surely. I've documented it on video if you're interested.
Tim

https://youtu.be/53iH0bhT9hQ
Posted By: Stanley Orchard

Re: School me on sheepshead - 12/31/19 03:40 PM

Structure for sure, and everything that everybody is saying here is dead on. In the spring we get them all over the jetties. When I am spearfishing the jetties I see them typically in 5'-10' and they get bigger the farther out you go. Surfside and channel side, but I see bigger fish on the channel side. They love shrimp and I've heard hermit crabs are a great bait as well.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: School me on sheepshead - 12/31/19 09:05 PM

The fresher the shrimp the better if you are using dead shrimp.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum