Texas Fishing Forum

Croaker Run

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Croaker Run - 10/09/19 10:22 PM

Did the croakers ever make much of a comeback? I remember when you used to be able to fill a pickup bed with eating-sized croakers this time of year.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Croaker Run - 10/10/19 12:22 AM

thing of the past. they're all used for bait now.
Posted By: ST1300

Re: Croaker Run - 10/10/19 04:02 PM

I remember in 1980 fishing Neches River out of Port Neches Park and catching 10 to 14 in croakers along with lots of little ones. We would keep 6 to 8 of bigger ones and have fish fry at home with Hush Puppies. I don't think I caught a croaker over 12 inches in last 3 years of fishing since I returned to Texas.
Posted By: H-TownCrappieMan

Re: Croaker Run - 10/10/19 07:23 PM

I remember one summer day at San Luis Pass on the western tip of Galveston Island we got into those Golden Croakers - no size limit or so but we kept about 10 of them. Man that was some good eating!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Croaker Run - 10/11/19 10:39 PM

We used to catch them by the boatload at Bayport. I heard that it all stopped when they built the ship docks.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Croaker Run - 10/12/19 04:44 PM

I caught one about a pound a couple years ago.. but yeah, they're harvest for bait has decreased the overall size... still a good one here or there if you know what you'd doing.
Posted By: Skavatar

Re: Croaker Run - 10/12/19 05:29 PM

we used to catch a lot of big ones (12" long) off the TC pier back in the 90's. don't catch many big ones nowadays.
Posted By: jaymzinsa

Re: Croaker Run - 10/17/19 07:46 PM

Can't all be gone; some sort of adult population has to be around to produce the little ones used for bait and there doesn't seem to be a huge shortage of those little guys. Gotta be around somewhere. Surprised there aren't reports of a run through packery channel. I'm sure there are plenty in the big ship channels in corpus and houston.
Posted By: parttime

Re: Croaker Run - 10/18/19 06:44 PM

Caught a couple around 12" last weekend in the Port Aransas area.
Posted By: Stanley Orchard

Re: Croaker Run - 11/01/19 03:28 PM

We had a bunch of them running through Packerey about a month ago, not sure how long they were there. All in the 8" range. Haven't seen a 14" in years, not that we typically fish for croaker. Although you are making me hungry for some fried mini-filets... might take a shot at that in the coming weeks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum