Texas Fishing Forum

Florida tarpon

Posted By: opus

Florida tarpon - 09/06/19 11:24 PM

Any good in Oct 8-14
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/07/19 03:01 AM

Although many places in Florida, especially southern Florida, say they have tarpon available all times of the year, typically October is not a very good month for Tarpon. I have fished the Keys on and off for several years and April through June are the best months for Tarpon there.
Posted By: opus

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/07/19 02:38 PM

thanks
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/07/19 06:24 PM

You can find some juveniles in October at the Marquesas Keys. Pinfish suspended about 4-5 feet under a float will get them.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/08/19 05:16 PM

October is my favorite month to fish for tarpon or anything else in Florida. Lived in southern Florida for 25 years. Right now (Sept) the fall baitfish migration has started and huge schools of pilchard, sardines and mullet are headed south on both coasts of Florida. I'm not familiar with the tarpon fishing further north, but if I had a chance to go in October to Miami area/ Everglades, or Keys, I'd jump all over it. As it is, I'm hoping to spend a week there in November.

Lots of football fans watching their favorite college/pro teams play on the weekends and a lot less folks fishing for tarpon. Go get em.

https://www.cyberangler.com/fishing-reports/florida/flamingo/fall-fishing-everglades-39157.htm

Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/09/19 12:28 AM

I really like to hear this as I’m heading down in April for tarpon. I tried tarpon before in SC but only caught a shark.

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Although many places in Florida, especially southern Florida, say they have tarpon available all times of the year, typically October is not a very good month for Tarpon. I have fished the Keys on and off for several years and April through June are the best months for Tarpon there.

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Posted By: Mo

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/09/19 02:35 PM

Just my 2 cents ( Iconn4 has lived there , I have not smile )

I have fished the keys for tarpon many times since the mid 80's. March can be too early , April or May is best IMHO,
I have not been in June and July but was told they are good months if you can stand the heat.
I am not the expert. The Captain I used many times in Key West discouraged me from booking a trip in October ,
telling me having fished in the spring for so long , I would be disappointed in October fishing ( plus weather can
be a [censored] shoot. )

Good luck , If you go , Please post a report

MO
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/09/19 02:45 PM

Very nice to hear.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Florida tarpon - 09/10/19 12:05 PM

If you make it to the middle Keys in the spring or summer, stop by Robbie's Marina. They feed tarpon there and it is a memorable experience to see all the tarpon, jacks, and nurse sharks. Last time I was there a manatee even came up. You can look at Youtubes on it and they have a live-cam. You can also book a tarpon trip from them. The last time I was there I landed a tarpon over 175 lbs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum