Texas Fishing Forum

Bass boat in the Gulf

Posted By: DBFishing83

Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/24/19 08:12 PM

Is it OK- not dumb - safe,,, to take a 21ft Triton bass boat out into the Gulf ???
I know the bay and backwater channels would be fine —-
But I am wondering about just past the jetty/breakers in the Surfside area ????
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/24/19 08:30 PM

no

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/24/19 09:15 PM

I love a short - direct - to the point answer
Thank You
Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/24/19 11:37 PM

I work offshore and I have never seen corrosion like in a marine environment. Same item on a land rig will last 50 years compared to 7 years offshore. If your selling the boat in a few years, I wouldn't care. If its a forever, I wouldn't travel south of I-10
Far as safe.....As long as winds are down I would. Guys do it in Kayaks. Honestly though, Its like taking a deep hull center console bass fishing in shallow grassy stumpy areas. Theres a better tool for the job.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 01:34 AM

You can do a ton of work to your boat to protect it from the brine. But your painted trailer is dead after the first dunking.

Don’t do it.
Posted By: Sgrem

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 02:22 AM

You will save money by hiring a guide than fixing everything on your boat and trailer that is going to melt and corrode.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 03:19 AM

Don't do it!
Posted By: boocat

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by smooth move
no

^
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 02:54 PM

IF......... you know what you are doing (meaning experienced and knowledgeable) and are sensible about the conditions, it's very safe. But as stated above, the corrosion that results from the saltwater environment will be a huge price to pay. I wouldn't do it with mine.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 03:27 PM

I went offshore once out of Perdido Pass Florida with the borderline crazy Brett Graham in one his many worn the eff out bass boats he's had over the years. It was scary going through that inlet, the currents and rips are insane. We fished some reefs within site of land. If you don't pay attn the currents will take you to Cuba.

I said that day , I am not ever going off shore without a proper radio and if it was my own craft.....2 motors.

If we'd have broke down out there in that junker its scary to think where we'd end up.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 04:25 PM

Safe, sure on low wind days. But I’ve seen a blowup boat half a mile past the jetties. I wouldn’t, and I have a center console bay boat. Different people have different tolerance for risks.

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 05:47 PM

One good 8 foot wake from a oil tanker will quickly make you reconsider your life choices.
Can you? Sure You see idiots out past the jetties in john boats.
Like mentioned, you're way ahead hiring a guide.

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 10:36 PM

...OK ,,,, got the picture
Have put my 21 foot Triton bass boat up for sale and am looking for a good boat for the Gulf

*** next question -- ??? GOOD boat for the gulf / oil rigs ????
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/25/19 10:37 PM

It is probably a little dumb not the best way to fish the gulf
i would not do it in my boat but I might be more conservative than you. you know the risk and possible problems from doing it the real question is are you going to or not ?
if you do get some video just in case something funny happens.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/26/19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by flukeman83
...OK ,,,, got the picture
Have put my 21 foot Triton bass boat up for sale and am looking for a good boat for the Gulf

*** next question -- ??? GOOD boat for the gulf / oil rigs ????

If you're looking for a boat for both inshore and offshore most center console bay boats over 21 feet are going to be ok to run to the rigs in state waters (within 9 nautical miles). You just have to wait for 2 foot seas or less. If you're wanting a boat that can go offshore in 3 foot seas that boat will not be good for bay fishing.

I recommend at least a 22' and preferably a 24' boat for fishing both inshore and offshore. I used to have a 24' Pathfinder that was a great all around boat but wouldn't run in shallow water worth a darn. If you are looking at fiberglass look at Shallow Sport or something similar that will run in shallow water.
Posted By: ST1300

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/26/19 02:15 PM

First I am not a boat expert so please do your own research but here is starting point.
Bass Boat is what I would call shallow V.
Medium V and Deep V are next style of V hull most common in Bay Boat/Center consoles (some bays are even shallow V like bass boat and tunnel hulls etc….. )
Medium V in 20 to 27 feet range based on gas consumption is good option seas in 1 to 3 foot range.
Deep V 24 to 30+ foot range based on gas consumption is good option seas 1 to 5 foot range, maybe more but not my cup of tea.
Note I have seen a guy take a 24 foot shallow V bay boat (aluminum) 60 miles out on flat sea. I would not do this but I have gone about 10 to 12 miles in my 20 foot shallow V bay (aluminum).
I have friend in Florida takes 20 foot medium V 15 to 30 miles out in Atlantic sea less than 2 feet.
Find a charter and go with a captain, rinse and repeat with few others see what they are using how they use it what they are comfortable with. Talk with them ask them questions. Then start to make decision.

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/26/19 09:47 PM

The great Texas boat debate. Round 1,164.
Lot of opinions. LOT. All based on some variation of what you know.
I could care less what brand boat/motor you purchase, but I will throw in the first few things to consider, then armed with a bit of knowledge, you can venture forth to a good decision.
1. THE most important question, Where are you going to fish the most? If you're fishing Galveston and east, then shallow water ability is pretty much a non-event. Get whatever you like. However if Port O Connor south is your target, then you'll be cutting off a lot of productive water if you can't run decent shallow.

If you're like most guys, thinking of big blue water dreams and running out to battle kings, ling and snapper, be forewarned there's way more crappy days than there are really good ones. 70% of the year, you'll hesitate getting past the jetties, and having bay ability will save your trip more than not.

How far out do you think you need to go? From Galveston it can easily be a 30 mile trek to find blue water, the further south you go, the closer the blue sea will be. At Mansfield, it's only 15 miles. Big difference.

And to not sound like some old wind bag, remember everything on a boat is a compromise. What makes a hull run smooth, also makes it run deep. How shallow is shallow? how rough is rough? How big is big?
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Bass boat in the Gulf - 08/27/19 07:01 PM

I had my Triton 19trx off the north jetty in port a once.. but you have to know what the heck you are doing to not get swamped and I would not recommend it for anyone that has to ask.. no offense....it is not easy to get it around the jetty without getting a wave over the side. I only did it because I knew how to clean it to prevent as much corrosion as possible and was selling it so..needed a saltwater fix... lol

I bought a Triton 240 LTS.. awesome all around boat. Make sure it floats if capsized. If you plan to leave the bay.. heck, even if you stay, no sense buying a boat that will sink....asking for trouble.

Get some shade.. anything. a T-top.

GL!

R
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum