Texas Fishing Forum

Surfside jetty -- September / year round

Posted By: DBFishing83

Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/18/19 06:28 PM

need advice as to fishing the jetty in Surfside ……..
what to fish for
how to fish for it
when to fish

Thanks
Posted By: ADDICTED 2 FISHING

Re: Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/20/19 12:47 AM

My favorite besides lures is shrimp dead/live is great out there. Most common target this time of year is probably trout. Almost everything out there eats shrimp lol I like to suspend it under a Slip cork with a bobber stop so that you can change the depth as you fish to find the fish. Only downside to shrimp is even all the little bait stealing fish love it. Any idea what your wanting to catch? Is there a preference in how as far as bait vs lures you like to fish.
Posted By: 1Fisher77316

Re: Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/20/19 03:00 AM

If you aren't into lures then use a perch hook and catch piggy perch on site and freelance in the current on the channel side about 30/40 yards before the end of the jetty on the outgoing tide. Yes, you'll get hung up a fair amount but you also stand a great chance with some larger trout and keeper reds. If into lures then spoons fished fast should still catch mackerel in September.
If you have access to a light plant fish about the 2nd bar on the surf side. Unless the water is chocolate you should catch an easy limit.
Tight lines!

Re: Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/20/19 12:50 PM

Thank You both
Not picky — just like the fight & being out fishing
Haven’t salt water fished in 50 years — LMB fisherman. But since I am buying a beach house and the bass fishing is so far away looks like I am going to become a salt water guy
Surf fishing — jetty fishing —
Maybe the occasional Gulf trip
Lots of studying to do —-
Posted By: ADDICTED 2 FISHING

Re: Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/20/19 03:20 PM

Ohhh... ok! If you like LMB you will love fishing for redfish and trout with lures.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/20/19 05:46 PM

You'll forget those green fish fast enough ;-)

Good information to get started above.. topwaters from your bass tackle should get the 'nod' this time of year on incoming tide early. (You can use them as is for now but you'll soon have to replace the hooks since the salt will rust them; the salt will rust even the tinned hooks it just takes longer). Most reels will be fine for a while as well, rinse them with a light spray or just wipe down with rag and reel magic, both are ok. Depending on your gear you might start looking into a reel that is saltwater worthy if you don't have one already. mainly you're looking for making sure all the components are stainless or brass and not pewter and not magnesium. An Aluminum frame is ok but the Mg oxidizes and the corrosion expands into places you don't want it. back to lures... Anything under a click cork will also work. Work close to the rocks with texas rigged soft plastics as well.. I made one jus for that.. but I'm not hear to sell you on it.. plenty guys already love it. Work it just like a worm or impart the same action as a spook jr and floss the rocks with it and you'll find some trout. Free-lining shrimp and or piggy or pin perch is also a good option for a tug. Live crab or cracked half crab will get a bull red this fall in Sept and October.

Re: Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/20/19 11:26 PM

Thanks guys --- lots to learn, especially when you don't know a dang thing about it.

Re: Surfside jetty -- September / year round - 08/22/19 03:08 PM

,,,,, so ,,, what kind of artificial lures do you throw in the "surf" ?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum