Texas Fishing Forum

Rollover Pass Aug 1-4

Posted By: jrsac

Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 07/16/19 09:34 PM

Hello everyone. My brother and I are heading down to Crystal Beach with our wives Aug 1-4. I am wanting to try to catch some fish in the mornings but I have little experience down on bolivar. If you have any tips or experience with this area I would appreciate some input or tips. From what I am seeing Rollover Pass would be the place to fish but I am not sure if kayaking or wading would be the better option. I also don't mind throwing live or artificial. Might try both and see what works! Thanks and tight lines!
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 07/17/19 01:23 AM

www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/webcams

One can catch most anything running through there. You can try all kinds of baits.....cut mullet,shad,squid, live or dead shrimp, and artificial, usually in the chart.colors. If your not aware of the slot limits on Trout,Reds,Flatfish,Black Drum,etc. Trout ..minimum 15", one 25" + , Reds are 20"-28" , Blk Drum 14"-30", and Flounder 14" minimum..no max. Pick up a TPWD pamphlet or go online. You might want to pick up some bait before you get there. Nancy's Bait Camp may be out of some stuff.Bring your chairs and umbrellas.
Posted By: 1Fisher77316

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 07/17/19 02:25 AM

Right now the action is on the incoming tide on deep drifted mirror lures 52MR54, 52MR808, or 52MR28..if the tide is extremely hard then "Blades" are the baits of choice...location..usually within 75 ft- 100 foot of the bridge. It's been slow this week.
Tight lines!!
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 07/17/19 03:01 AM

haven't fished Rollover in years, but when we did, i always had the best luck with double rigged plastics like kelly wigglers. i'm really onto weighted swimbait hooks with paddletails right now and think they would work well at rollover. red and white or yellow and white would be my choice.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 07/17/19 03:31 AM

Combat fishing at it's finest..... Definitely bring the kayaks. If the crowds get out of hand run about ten minutes down to Stingaree Marina and fish the marsh there. Good luck!

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 07/17/19 02:14 PM

Thank you for all the replies. With what everyone is saying, would it be better to wade out and throw into the pass or fish off of the bank?
Posted By: ST1300

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 07/18/19 01:14 PM

Every time I have driven by or launched my boat into East Bay folks are on bank. The water moving in and out the pass would make it dangerous in my opinion to wade that area. Fishing from beach I would stay good 100 yards from pass for same reason tidal change and current in and out of pass. Good luck and have fun.

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 08/06/19 07:18 PM

We went out and fished the surf Friday and Saturday. We pulled in 4 keeper specs, a sand trout, and two keeper size whiting. We hit everything on soft plastics and spoons. I had heard reports of people catching them on topwaters but neither of us or the folks down the banks from us were seeming to have luck with that. It was a great time and some good eating. I will be trying to get down there again soon. Hopefully we can get on them a little more next time!
Posted By: LowBudget Fishin

Re: Rollover Pass Aug 1-4 - 08/11/19 12:04 PM

JRSAC - Sent you a PM. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum