Texas Fishing Forum

What braid for surf rods ?

Posted By: k close

What braid for surf rods ? - 04/09/19 04:37 PM

I use 20 or 30 lb power pro on all my fresh water poles. But with the larger line capacity on my surf fishin rods I'm wondering if there is a more economical brand that any of you guys have tried and would recommend
Posted By: TheGoat

Re: What braid for surf rods ? - 04/09/19 06:57 PM

Don't go cheap on line or terminal tackle when fishing saltwater. Doesnt matter if its surf or jetties. I find that its more okay to skimp on quality in freshwater than salt. I use Finns wind tamer 30lb or PP super slick on all of my surf and jetty reels. Make sure you tie on a significant amount of mono or flouro leader or topshop because braid does not do well when it rubs on sand. I use an fg knot and tie on about 10-12ft of 30-40lb mono or fluorocarbon leader.
Posted By: Stanley Orchard

Re: What braid for surf rods ? - 04/16/19 10:34 PM

I wouldn't stress as much about the kind of braid... 30lb is good regardless of the brand. But I would definitely reiterate and agree with TheGoat... make sure you pack a good amount of mono or fluoro (I use 40lb + and a good 100 feet) after the braid. The sandbars are like sand-paper, and if your braid runs across them it'll cut you off.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum