Texas Fishing Forum

Salt Run - Port Aransas

Posted By: Slab Killa

Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/01/19 09:40 PM

Hey Guys,

Last year we made a trip to port Aransas and fished with a guide. He was awesome and did a great job but this year I think I may drag my boat down there. My son likes to fish a lot and to fish multiple days with a guide could add up. With that being said, where should I look to get him in some action? We will be going the last week of June and would like to get into some action.

Any tips or areas to check out would be much appreciated.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/03/19 12:58 PM

Lots of looks but no replies. Come on men throw me a bone. After re-reading my post I feel like it could help to say that I have a 24’ pathfinder. So if the weather cooperates I’m not opposed to running a bit out but I won’t be able to run terribly shallow
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/03/19 01:04 PM

I can't help you with fishing spots, but what's your boat? You might reconsider that decision.
Posted By: Sgrem

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/03/19 03:40 PM

Get troutsupport.com videos. They will help you tremendously.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/03/19 04:54 PM

I might reconsider what decision? Running out? I’m not talking 50 miles I mean right outside the jetty.

The boat is a Pathfinder 2400 TRS with a 300
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/03/19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Slab Killa
The boat is a Pathfinder 2400 TRS with a 300

You will have no problems in that boat. I think Pat was just looking out for you and making sure you weren't trying to tackle the area with the wrong boat.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/03/19 06:12 PM

10-4 men I appreciate your help.

I watched the trout support videos and think that info will be helpful!
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/04/19 02:26 AM

Yeah, way too many guys drag their bass boats down and can't understand why it has cancer a year later.

You're good.
Posted By: Blutarsky

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/04/19 02:24 PM

In late June the surf can be very good if the weather allows. Just run out the Port A jetty and head north until you find some bait or pelican activity. Snapper fishing is really good but you probably have to run 20 to 30 miles out for that. Should be some kings and maybe cobia closer in. Inshore wade fishing along the San Jose shoreline or the points at Mud Island or Allen's Bight should be pretty good. Look for bait and slicks to lead the way.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/04/19 03:38 PM

Trust me Mr. Goff, I've spent just as much time reading about cleaning as I have fishing! I'm an idiot when it comes to keeping my rig clean so this trip will likely take 5 years off my life. However, if we can find some fish and lil man can get into some action it will be more then worth it.

Thank you for your suggestions Blutarsky! I'll give it a look.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/04/19 04:18 PM

I would recommend hiring a guide for the first day. Ask him to teach you some tips/tricks for going out in your own boat. Tip him well, then enjoy the rest of the trip in your boat. I once had a guide offer a discounted trip if he just rode in my boat and offered his guidance and taught us the lay of the land. It was a great experience as he taught us how to understand the tides, graph, fish patterns, etc. It was worth every penny.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/04/19 04:48 PM

If you are having problems finding fish, Estes Flats with live shrimp is almost a guarantee. I usually fish Rockport and primarily target redfish. The most challenging aspect to fishing the area is figuring out how to get around without running up on a sandbar and getting stuck. If you explore you will find fish, but keep a close eye on your maps.

Also, think about how your guide fished, where he fished and what he fished.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/04/19 09:29 PM

Here are some of my favorite baits for redfish and trout.

DOA Shad Tail

[Linked Image]

Egret Baits Wedgetail

[Linked Image]

Texas Tackle Factory Texas Trout Killer

[Linked Image]

MirrOlure Top Dog

[Linked Image]

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/05/19 02:49 AM

Hey guys, thank you all for your insight and tips. I’m taking notes. The hole sand bar deal doesn’t sound fun!

This is shaping up to be a cool experience.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/05/19 03:32 AM

If you plan on going outside the jetties, make sure you have the proper safety equipment for off-shore...flares etc. Good chance the coast guard will be watching during summertime.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/05/19 01:51 PM

When I was new to inshore the best thing I did was hire a guide. I asked him to teach me the water and how to properly navigate it. I spent 2 days with him, in my boat, marking stuff on the GPS and taking notes. I learned in 2 days what would of taken me 2 years on my own. Even now being experienced in my home waters I still put to use what I learned from my guide trip long ago and still learning.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/05/19 03:53 PM

I agree with the guide deal. Anyone have any suggestions for the Port Aransas area?
Posted By: CoreyHAL

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/10/19 10:15 PM

Your boat will have “CANCER” a year from now! You need coords from uncle Jim-bob

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/11/19 02:00 AM

Do you have a trolling motor with spotlock? It makes life so much easier when you get into rough water! Well when it works....but that’s off topic

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/11/19 06:57 PM

Dear Mods,

Please make this guy go away! He’s a troll and brings no value to this forum.

Sincerely yours,

SlabKilla

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/11/19 06:58 PM

And don’t worry about that “cancer”....you know a yellowfin is next on the list!

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/11/19 08:59 PM

Dear mods,

No trolling here! I am just trying to offer up advice from expierence that’s all. Mr. Slab kills appears to be a VERY unstable man! I will go away on my own out of fear!

Sincerely worried,
Cnote

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/12/19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by CoreyHAL
Your boat will have “CANCER” a year from now! You need coords from uncle Jim-bob

The man said he had a Pathfinder.
Posted By: TXEagle001

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/14/19 10:26 PM

A story... perhaps funny. In 1975 when I was 15, we took a family trip to the Texas coast. My dad hauled our 18' inboard/outboard. The first day we did the guided trip and cleaned up on trout. My dad paid attention to the route, and the channel markers and the next day decided we should take our boat out.

Mind you, Jaws had just been released a month before this and my brother saw it in the theater.

We are cruising along just fine for awhile, but then.... yes, you guessed it, we found a sandbar and were stuck on it. My dad looks back at us and says "jump out boys, and push us off". We do after some apprehension all the while humming du da, du da, dudududududu.....

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/15/19 03:28 AM

That’s great! Hope you guys ended up having a great trip after getting off the bar!

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/22/19 02:02 AM

Best way to catch a shark? Bait, chum, location any pointers are appreciated

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/22/19 02:08 AM

Time of year....

Late summer. Bait and fish like you would for bull reds.

Also after offshore shrimping season i put my customers on some giants behind shrimp boats.

Can also put out a bait floated with a ballon.

Use 300-500# mono leader about 6ft long and 16/0 circle hooks. Use knot protectors to help against sharp teeth chaffing thru line.

Attached picture 29918.jpg
Attached picture 36369.jpeg

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/23/19 12:15 AM

We will be down there the last week of June! To be honest I’m good with a few 4’ sharks just so he can say he caught them. Those are MAGS!!!

Knot protectors is new to me I’ll have to look into them. I did order some cable shark rigs that have 10’ leaders but it sounds like you might like the mono better.

Thank you for your time Sgrem

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/23/19 12:29 PM

Next question is what to do with a shark if it’s hooked too deeply and doesn’t look like it will survive? We are primarily looking to catch and release but will bring one home if we have to.

Do you all eat them? How to cook them?

Would you cook up a bonnet head?

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/23/19 04:00 PM

Bonnet head are the best eating of the sharks.

With circle hooks the hook is always in the corner of the mouth. Always. Because if they get hooked deeper their teeth go right thru the line....the instant the line gets tight they gone. If you do by some miracle get a deep hooked one to you simply cut the line. That hook will rust out within a week. The shark will be unaffected. I have caught sharks that had 5 stingray barbs in their mouth. So they will be fine.

Legal to keep shark is great eating. Make sure you identify them. The ones that are not great eating are illegal to keep. The illegal ones urinate thru their skin and taste like it....

Think of it as a steak. A saltwater steak. Treat it exactly the same way. Season and grill....or broil or pan sear just as much if it was a sirloin.

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 02/23/19 06:48 PM

Thank you sir! Looking forward to giving it a try!
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 03/03/19 08:57 PM

Pm me and I can put u on some sppots
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 03/03/19 09:39 PM

Pm me and I can put u on some sppots

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/14/19 03:11 AM

Alright men, the trip is coming up. We are headed down next weekend to try to get into some action.

How’s the fishing been?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/15/19 02:19 AM

how shallow can you run?
Do you like to fish out of the boat?
Pull up to an oyster reed and fish with bait?
Drift?
Wade?

I grew up in the area and will be going back next weekend

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/15/19 03:28 AM

Hey ccoker,

All fair questions. Don’t know how shallow I can run but I can also tell ya I’m in no hurry to push the limit with this new boat! I have a 2400 pathfinder with a 300 so I don’t imagine I’ll be running real skinny.

Since we are taking our kids we would prefer to fish out of the boat with bait.

I’m down for a drift if that’s the best way. Just don’t have any idea where to fish.

Basically, if we can get into some action it would be a blast for these kids.

I’m also planning on running some chum as they want to catch a shark too!

Should be a fun experience
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/15/19 10:46 AM

Slab Killa this channel puts out videos weekly. Some good info here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TexasFishnTips

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/15/19 03:38 PM

Thanks Jerry I will check that out for sure!

Appreciate all your all’s insight
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/15/19 07:55 PM

You're welcome hope it helps. It's all about locating the fish. Find structure, find bait and you'll find the fish. Current helps. Really you only need 2 or 3 baits. Once you find the fish most of the time they're going to jump at what you throw them. There are exceptions but this time of year they're hungry and more aggressive.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/15/19 10:16 PM

good info on those videos
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Salt Run - Port Aransas - 06/26/19 08:32 PM

I have some map spots for google earth. Send me a pm with an email address and I'll shoot it over.

Russ
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum