Texas Fishing Forum

Limit question

Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Limit question - 08/04/18 07:06 PM

I like to camp out overnight. I set up camp at night on the shoreline.

Is it legal to clean my fish once I am at my camp location? If so, starting the next day am I allowed to catch another limit since it is the next day?
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Limit question - 08/04/18 08:37 PM

Regs actually say Clean them once they have reached their FINAL DESTINATION. I wouldn't do it.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Limit question - 08/04/18 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
I like to camp out overnight. I set up camp at night on the shoreline.

Is it legal to clean my fish once I am at my camp location? If so, starting the next day am I allowed to catch another limit since it is the next day?

A fisherman can have up to two daily bag limits in possession when staying at a temporary dwelling like a campsite. But, you can still only keep one bag limit per day.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/general-rules-regulations/definitions

"Possession Limit:

The maximum number of fish a person may possess before returning to their residence. Possession limit is twice the daily bag on game and nongame fish, except as provided in this guide, and does not apply to fish in the possession of or stored by a person at their residence.

Residence:

A permanent structure where a person regularly sleeps and keeps personal belongings such as furniture and clothes, but does not include a temporary abode or dwelling such as a hunting or fishing club, or any club house, cabin, tent, or trailer house or mobile home used as a hunting or fishing camp, or any hotel, motel or rooming house used on a temporary basis."

It's legal to clean fish once the fisherman has reached the "mainland" and is no longer on the water:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/faq/fishboat/fish/index.phtml#R5

"Can you clean fish that you have caught while you are still on the water in your boat?

In most cases, it is unlawful to clean your catch until the fish is finally landed on the mainland (not including piers or jetties) and no longer transported by boat. However, there are some exceptions:

Broadbill swordfish, shark, and king mackerel may have the head or tail removed but the carcass must remain intact; the fish may not be filleted.
Grass carp, tilapia and other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful should have the intestines removed immediately after being caught -- unless you are fishing on a body of water that has a Triploid Grass Carp permit in effect, in which case grass carp should be released alive and unharmed."

Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Limit question - 08/05/18 03:34 PM

V BOTTOM:

No! The regulations actually do not say that at all.

If you are a recognized weigh in station (per your signature), you should learn the regs before quoting them to others. I will never understand why folks who don't know the correct answer post it on here so frequently.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Limit question - 08/05/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: K5RCD
V BOTTOM:

No! The regulations actually do not say that at all.

If you are a recognized weigh in station (per your signature), you should learn the regs before quoting them to others. I will never understand why folks who don't know the correct answer post it on here so frequently.

To be posting something.
Posted By: Immortal13

Re: Limit question - 08/06/18 12:15 PM

If that were true then none of the many cleaning stations at marinas and boats ramps would be illegal.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum