Texas Fishing Forum

Best maps chip for Texas coast?

Posted By: CatchWaymore

Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/13/18 12:51 AM

I have seen that humminbird has a maps chip for the Texas coast. Is that better than the Navionics chip? Which one do y’all prefer and why?
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/15/18 02:53 PM

For the coast, I would go with Navionics simply because the depths and location of some hazards change and the Navionics chip can be updated without having to buy a new chip.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/16/18 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: CatchWaymore
I have seen that humminbird has a maps chip for the Texas coast. Is that better than the Navionics chip? Which one do y’all prefer and why?

Are you looking more for Aerial overlays(Google Earth) or for nautical data such as depth contours etc?
Posted By: CatchWaymore

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/17/18 02:54 AM

depth, hazards, contours. I’m new to fishing the salt and I’m honing to port o Conner in 2 weeks and don’t want to hit oyster reefs or rocks

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/17/18 12:02 PM

depth, hazards, contours. I’m new to fishing the salt and I’m honing to port o Conner in 2 weeks and don’t want to hit oyster reefs or rocks

If not concerned with aerial overlay, I would recommend the Navionics Regions South card, it has Saltwater as well as freshwater, with Sonar Charts layer for $149, so it will also save you a little cash compared to a few other options.
Posted By: SmokeDraw

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/17/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Corey Stanley

If not concerned with aerial overlay, I would recommend the Navionics Regions South card, it has Saltwater as well as freshwater, with Sonar Charts layer for $149, so it will also save you a little cash compared to a few other options.

How does the Navionics chip you recommend compare to using the Navionics app? I'v been using the app for several years now to navigate and find new spots. I only use my chartplotter/sonar for the sonar anymore and as a backup navigation aid. Just cuirious if there is much more detail on the chip and if I am missing anything.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/18/18 03:22 AM

Navionics works great out of POC

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/19/18 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SmokeDraw
Originally Posted By: Corey Stanley

How does the Navionics chip you recommend compare to using the Navionics app? I'v been using the app for several years now to navigate and find new spots. I only use my chartplotter/sonar for the sonar anymore and as a backup navigation aid. Just cuirious if there is much more detail on the chip and if I am missing anything.

The detail on the card is the exact same as the app as long as both are updated and you have the Nav+ add on to the app to allow you to turn on the Sonar Chart layer.
Posted By: HOOKNBULLET2

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/20/18 03:08 AM

Navionics chip works good for me.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Best maps chip for Texas coast? - 07/24/18 02:33 PM

I have the navionics chip and it's good general information. As long as you can see the phone ok in bright sunlight.. some phone screens are not easily seen in bright sunlight. Also, use the Navionics as 'general' information.. ie, don't run your boat in less than 3' of water unless you know the area. There is plenty drivable area that is 3' plus, it's not like you'll be on lock down.. but for instance the pass cavallo area changes soo often that it's not updatable for anyone... sand bars shift all the time... be careful in that area.. same goes for running in shallow water everywhere else... Hurricane Harvey caused some flows and opened cuts and created new deltas in a lot of area.. as long as your running in 3' plus you'll be fine... it's the shallow areas that changed and might be different.

just get the chip... OMHO it's really hard to constantly drive with a phone in one hand and POC has plenty obstacles.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum