Texas Fishing Forum

Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area?

Posted By: tuglyfe

Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area? - 11/28/17 11:18 PM

Hey y'all!

New here and have been reading around online about Redfish & Black Drum opportunities October-December near the Gulf? What are the possibilities near Galveston/Corpus area? or is there better places to fish in TX for 'em? Do I need a boat? Will a kayak do? What kind of numbers and size can I expect? I'm east of Dallas, but am looking at getting down there shortly, and the drive doesn't bother me as long as I know I can get into some. Where are y'all's favorite places to go/hit up? Any tips and pointers that a Redfish virgin should keep in mind? Thanks in advance! When I head down there I'll be sure to keep y'all posted!
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area? - 11/29/17 12:01 AM

Galveston is great for both. a kayak is ideal for fishing the marshes around here. might get a little dicey around the boating lanes though.

Re: Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area? - 11/29/17 12:03 AM

Awesome. Can't wait. I can easily throw that on top of my van and not have to worry about a trailer! Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area? - 11/30/17 01:41 AM

Redfish are here all year. Black Drum are around too. Are you referring to some kind of Run on Big Ones. it's early for Big Black Drum...that's Feb/March etc. The legal size for Blk Drum is 14-30". Smaller ones are the best to eat. Reds are 20-28" (see TPWD Regs for keeping oversize fish, use of Tags)

Re: Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area? - 12/02/17 06:22 PM

Thanks @V-Bottom!

I'll just do catch and release. That's awesome to hear about Redfish and Black Drum!! I'll be sure to keep my ear to the ground for when it starts heating up in Feb/March! Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: outdoorsman916

Re: Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area? - 12/04/17 02:19 AM

San Luis pass between Galveston and Freeport is a good spot for both reds and black drum. Live/Dead mullet and crab are good baits. We use casted shark leaders which is just a modified Carolina rig with a 9/0 and up circle hook and an up to 6oz. weight depending on current. If you have 4x4 you can fish the Galveston side which has a gut about 50yds of the beach. If you don’t have 4x4 the freeport side is also a good spot. Use a steel leader since sharks are present most of the year. The gulf side of the bridge is best on either side of the pass. You can also fish with live/dead shrimp on a double drop rig with 2/0 j hooks for smaller fish(whiting, croaker, sand trout, etc.) which can also be used for bait. Be careful if you wade into the pass, the currents can be very strong at times.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Redfish & other Saltwater species opportunities in Galveston area? - 12/12/17 03:19 PM

For inshore reds you can use your kayak around freeport in the marsh lakes until end of February. Use small soft plastics rigged on jog head like Marker 54's shrimp or Chicken boys bubba clucker..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum