Texas Fishing Forum

Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin?

Posted By: MathGeek

Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/11/22 01:39 PM

Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/11/22 03:16 PM

I did not look at the video but I can tell you that it is not a sin to look back upon your heritage and find solace in that.
I do not look at the Confederate Flag as a raciest item, I look at it as a part of our history. In my case I had relatives that fought under the Confederate Flag and proudly served their state. not one of my family members had any slaves too. But I am also a firm believer that the Civil War was first fought under the guise of Taxation and State Rights. Slavery only became an issue on January 1st, 1863 when the Emancipation Proclamation became a law under the Lincoln Administration.
Lincoln had to find a way to make the foot soldiers have something other than what they were originally fighting for. The Soldiers that were in the army, their enlistment time was coming to an end and most of those soldiers were thinking of leaving the army as they were tired of fighting for some useless governmental fight that could have been handled in Washington and not on a bloody open field.
History classes in schools and those that push raciest ideas stand firm it was only because of slavery, but the facts tell us a different story.
If you read most any diary form those soldiers you will find that slavery is rarely mention as to why they were fighting. Too be honest about half could not even tell you why they were shooting at another brother citizen.

Going back to the flag, I find it a historical piece of history, but as we have seen in the last few years, this country is trying its best to erase our history, and thus we are doomed to repeat it..................

Re: Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/12/22 01:09 PM

Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin?

Of course not, the Confederate Flag is an inanimate object, and like all inanimate objects, the question of sin comes down to how it is used. In our culture, flags are symbolic expressions, and the expression intended for most flags is different for different people. Scripture says, "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." Wise people are dubious of those who claim to know the intentions of a person's heart from the outward appearance of an inanimate flag.

Expressions of race-based hate and bias are sin. White supremacy is a sin and an error. However, display of a confederate flag might also be an expression of simple nostalgia. Or it might be a lamtation of the the drift of our Constitional republic away from the explicitly articulated rights of the states toward a powerful, and often tyrannical central government. Or it might be something else. Yes, for a short period in the 1860s, the confederate flag was a battle standard for the fight to preserve the abomination of slavery in the United States. But from 1776 to 1860, the US Flag wasn't much different, and several wars were fought under the United States flag based on founding documents that also preserved slavery. From 1973 to 2022, the United States flag was a symbol of many for abortion on demand without apology.

Several years ago, many purported Christians committed the sin of unBiblical judgement and going beyond what is written by acquiescing to the canceling the Confederate flag in most of US Christendom. Now, as a matter of wisdom and liberty, any individual or group may censor themselves based on perceived offense to other parties. The sin of judgement occurs when we claim to know the intent of another party based on an ambiguous outward expression. When we repeat our conclusion to others, the sin of judgement grows to the sin of gossip if we accuse others of racism or white supremacy based on display of a flag. We become manipulative antichrists when we try to censor or cancel others based on ambiguous outward expressions.

Having said this, I am cognizant of the Biblical imperative to "if it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." As a matter of wisdom, I personally refrain from display of the Confederate flag. Why stir up animosity? Bearing the message of Jesus and Jesus' call to repentance is necessary offense, and for my own mnistry, I view the display of the confederate flag as unnecessary offense. But if a brother or sister has a different view, I respect their liberty.

It is not inconceivable to me that one might display just about any cultural or historic flag to "become like the Jew to the Jew or the gentile to the gentile." The apostle Paul "became all things to all men" and told us to follow his example. If a servant of Jesus was sent particularly to those who love and display a specific flag, he might also display that flag, just as Paul engaged in many gentile behaviors and customs that would have been repulsive in 1st Century Jewish circles.

We need to reject the cancel culture and get back to the same calls to repentance offered by Jesus, by John the Baptist, and by the apostles. We need calls to repentance from religious hypocrisy – if the talk is "Christ alone, faith alone, scripture alone" then the walk ought not add requirements beyond what is written. And we especially not add requirements based on feigned offense from enemies of Jesus.
We need calls to repentance from idolatry and witchcraft, sexual immorality and adultery, and financial malfeasance beginning with Christian ministry finances. Or have we forgotten that Judgement begins in the house of God.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/12/22 01:41 PM

Very nice job MG. I do not watch the videos but enjoy reading the synopsis you add later.

The Word is very clear as to how true followers of Christ should be in all situations. Christ is truth, anything outside of Christ is not truth. More specifically the way humans manipulate and justify un Christlike behaviors.

The Mexican flag is another example of how an inanimate object is used for negativity. If one allows that flag to move one away from the truth of Christ, well, the justifications for un Christlike behavior usually follows.

God Bless in this journey to spread God’s Word.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/12/22 07:17 PM

at 18 I was so smart I had a rebel flag tattooed on my arm. 1985 era. pretty much instant regret. Never showed it much. in 2011 I had it covered up. instant relief.

People can claim heritage, pride etc, There is a negative stigma attached to this. Should it become part of our cancel culture? NO. But, it should not be revered and glorified either.
Posted By: drifter106

Re: Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/12/22 07:37 PM

no

Re: Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/13/22 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
at 18 I was so smart I had a rebel flag tattooed on my arm. 1985 era. pretty much instant regret. Never showed it much. in 2011 I had it covered up. instant relief.

People can claim heritage, pride etc, There is a negative stigma attached to this. Should it become part of our cancel culture? NO. But, it should not be revered and glorified either.

Well put. Thanks for the comments.
Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Jesus 101- Is the Confederate Flag a Sin? - 11/17/22 07:29 PM

I don't think God wants anyone waving any flag of any Country period failed or not. Ain't never heard of any bible talking about any flag...Confederate flag is no more nostalgic than a Nazi flag. Flag a sin, probably any flag is. Don't think god wants anyone or thing paying any allegiance to any flag....I'm heathen so I'm just guessing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum