Texas Fishing Forum

Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church

Posted By: MathGeek

Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/15/22 12:49 PM

Posted By: bshort

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/16/22 03:58 AM

Based on the title....because you actually get something for your money and it's significantly cheaper.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/16/22 02:44 PM

Liquor stores don't prey against those who are different from them.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/16/22 02:46 PM

First MathGeek video that made any sense to me.

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/17/22 05:25 PM

Jesus 101- Why Sheep Prefer the Liquor Store to Church

The guys at the local liquor store treat me with more dignity and respect than most churches I've visited so far this year - and they're certainly more kind than the purported "Christians" at Georgia online discussion forums. And the liquor store stayed open through COVID, when most churches in my county were closed - they also deliver great service for a tiny fraction of my annual income.

In contrast, the local churches are not shy about asking for 10% of my income in exchange for closures, shabby treatment, and poor service. I'm not sure we can blame the sheep if they prefer the bar or the liquor store to Christian circles. Folks want to go where everyone knows their name.

Jesus went to where the sinners were. He eschewed the religious tendency to hold meetings and expect sinners to come to his meetings in some religious building that's tough to enter without being asked for money.

Going to sinners means people of faith may sometimes look like people of the world. Jesus took the risk. And sure, sometimes we may get too close and need our feet to be washed.

I've shocked a lot of rednecks telling them the truth - you don't have to come to church, you don't have to tithe, and you don't have to swear off drinking alcohol. Jesus died for you to have a personal relationship with God the Father, not a room full of Southern Baptists - and you certainly don't need to submit to their stupid religious legalisms.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/17/22 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MathGeek
I've shocked a lot of rednecks telling them the truth - you don't have to come to church, you don't have to tithe, and you don't have to swear off drinking alcohol. Jesus died for you to have a personal relationship with God the Father, not a room full of Southern Baptists - and you certainly don't need to submit to their stupid religious legalisms.

Well now, I'm warming up to you a little now. grin Denominational religion has always been confusing to me, I never could understand why so many get bogged down in the window dressing of religion and fail to see what really matters.

BTW, I love going to the drive-thru beer barn with a "Honk if you're Baptist" bumper sticker...
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/18/22 02:58 PM

I guess I never got into the politics of religion... I went to religious schools almost my entire academic life. First K and 1st were public, then 2-12 were Catholic schooling and then onto a Presbyterian college. Never once did I feel pressured... The Presbyterians even allowed a Catholic mass on campus every Sunday... I still consider the priest who taught me in high school to be my friends and drink beer with them at a local bar that's close to their home, before and after football game and whatever fundraisers they have during the year... I think too many people get wrapped up politics and forget what the true meaning of religion is. It's a community meant to bring us together for the common good and keep us civil... The rest is just window dressing... If you don't like/ agree with the Catholics try the Presbyterians, Lutherans, Methodist or... It's not an us against them kind a thing... Dan

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/20/22 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ReelBusy

Well now, I'm warming up to you a little now. grin Denominational religion has always been confusing to me, I never could understand why so many get bogged down in the window dressing of religion and fail to see what really matters.

BTW, I love going to the drive-thru beer barn with a "Honk if you're Baptist" bumper sticker...

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm not a fan of wishy-washy thinking, more of a fan of acting in line with the priorities we espouse.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/20/22 08:20 PM

If your local congregation is not meeting people where they live or imposing religious lines where they don't, you might want to look around.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Why People Prefer the Liquor Store to the Local Church - 10/20/22 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ReelBusy

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm not a fan of wishy-washy thinking, more of a fan of acting in line with the priorities we espouse.

Walk the walk
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum