Texas Fishing Forum

Okuma Cold Water Level Wind Reels Can Be Spooled Evenly!

Posted By: Scuba Chris

Okuma Cold Water Level Wind Reels Can Be Spooled Evenly! - 03/14/22 05:44 PM

Spooling my Okuma Cold Water Reels With No Middle Line Bulging!

I like level wing reels. Great for bottom fishing to trolling. Not a great distance caster though. Back in the 70's i used Penn 209 & 309 Level Winds off the back of my dive boats going to my dive sites. Used to pull up GT's to Cudas & Wahoo & Tunas traveling the shorelines. Then i started going offshore with a bigger boat. Then i almost died getting The Bends so i gave it up.

Now i want to do some recreational trolling the inshores again for fun. My dive partner got a 17 Whaler so i'm putting together the fishing gear needed. Almost done. I wanted to continue using Level Winds along the shorelines & conventionals for open-water. But spooling Level Winds can be frustrating on larger wider units as the monofilament line will accumulate more in the center of the spool.

So employing an old trick i learned from the 80's on spooling these reels. Tilting. First time i've done it in years and i did 2 large new Level Winds perfectly just for this video. This does work. It's not like the +90% of YouTube videos that shows simply winding fresh line on a level wind but not showing how the reel looks like afterwards. Most YouTubers won't show how the line bulges in the center of the reel they just spooled.

Attached picture Cover- Okuma Cold Water.jpg
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Okuma Cold Water Level Wind Reels Can Be Spooled Evenly! - 03/14/22 10:52 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum